Add Product

Search Results:

Visitor

built in dvd player not playing movies in correct format

I bought Insignia NS28DD310NA15 tv/dvd combo last summer.  Shortly thereafter upgraded to digital cable and had to get cable boxes (Cox Communications).  Did not watch any dvds until around Christmas, and then we noticed that our dvds, which are in the widescreen which we prefer, are only playing in fullscreen.  We changed no settings--the tv is on 16:9 and cannot be changed from this, set to widescreen.  Wehave 3 tvs all with built in dvd players and now none of them play the widescreen movies in widescreen.  I hooked up a freestanding dvd player to the tv with it does play in widescreen but unfortunately it's not in the main room where we watch tv--don't have room for it in main room.   Cox denies this is their issue; I spent an hour and 20 min on phone with Insignia and we did verify tv is set for widescreen; she couldn't figure it out and thinks its an issue for Cox.  Cox will not help me, says tv issue.  Does anybody know how I can fix this?  It is really diminishing our viewing pleasure; we prefer widescreen.  Any help greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

Highlighted
Visitor

Re: built in dvd player not playing movies in correct format

Hello ****,

Welcome to Community@ Insignia™!

The TV has 2 sizing functions. Within the DVD player menu, is a setting for TV Display : 16x9 that is not able to be adjusted, as well as a setting within the TV Menu itself under Menu/Picture/Advanced Video/Aspect Ratio. Check the setting with the TV Menu, as that is the only setting that should make adjustment to the screen size while watching a DVD.

Regards,
Jon
Insignia™ Support

Visitor

Re: built in dvd player not playing movies in correct format

followup for case {removed per forum guidelines}, thanks for reply Jon, I did already try what you suggested, as both by your tech when I called and the finally VERY nice Cox rep had me do same.    Cox insists the issue has nothing to do with their setup.   He said a couple of things that really made me think about it...I was convinced, I mean, I would have bet my life I was missing part of the picture now, on the new tv(s), when we were watching dvds.  BUT the Cox guy told me to look at the edges of a scene when properly playing on the freestanding dvr--pause it he said, look what's visible around each edge--and then put it in the tv's dvd player again, and see if the same edges were present....and I was stunned....YES, I am getting the whole movie picture, it's just that instead of familiar "letterbox" format I was used to, the movies are now filling up the screen (most of the time--a few do still have the letterbox effect).   But the Cox man reminded me, this is now a widescreen tv, which I didn't have before, and now are watching widescreen movies made for the widescreen tv.   I tried it with about 15 movies, and every time, the entire frame was visible.  We were not missing any of the movie scenes, top/bottom/sides.   When hubby came home, he didn't believe me, said picture cropped at sides and top--but he has the smart phone, and took screen shots (as Cox also suggested) and even he had to admit he was totally surprised to see that yes we were getting the whole picture now, just that the familiar lettebox format is gone.    We both said it's almost an "optical illusion" that part of the picture is missing, because we are so used to "letterbox".   So thanks for the effort--and I hope this will spare somebody else some grief.   Thank you for taking the time to respond.   I do want to say I am thrilled with the quality of the two new Insignias we got--the picture is just fabulous--so much better than our previous televisions.     I hope this will help someone else who hasn't figured it out.  Thanks again.