Add Product

Search Results:

Visitor

Unbelievable NS-L37Q-10A display problems

OK.  this is getting beyond ridiculous.

I just connected a new Mac mini to the L37Q-10A via HDMI cable.  Scree shot is below.

Really bad display

Notice that the Control Panel is set to 1080p.  Notice the HUGE amount of black space to the left of the desktop picture.  Notice that the entire menu bar is clipped off the top of the screen.  Notice that most of the Apple menu is clipped off the top and off the left side.

...and yes, Overscan is turned OFF.

EVERY display setting works like this.  ...both television and monitor resolutions.  Interestingly, I will change resolutions and occasionally get SNOW. Yes, I switched to 1080p a few times and got snow on the screen rather than a computer picture.  Also got snow with 1024x768... which cleared up when I reselected the setting.

Notably absent is a 1920x1080 resolution.  Almost as if there is bad firmware not reporting back to the device that the resolution is supported.

Given that I have reported similar issues with a Playstation 3 AND a TiVo Series3 on this board, I find it hard to believe that the issue is not with the Insignia television, especially since NONE of these problems are present on a Vizio brand tv.

Visitor

Re: Unbelievable NS-L37Q-10A display problems

also of note...  ALL computer resolutions are converted by the TV to broadcast.   1024x768 becomes 720i, etc.

Visitor

Same problem here, join the crowd.

Highlighted
Visitor

Hello Falkor,

Seems in this case there is a ratio problem. There are a couple of things you can try:

- Try adjusting overscan on the Mac (set the resolution to 1080p and/or 1920x1080. Turn off both the Mac and the TV. Check if you are able to get a full image)

- On the TV check that the Zoom is off (press the zoom button to see if you gain back the top and bottom part of your screen)

- On Universal Access on your Mac, check that, under seeing, the Zoom is off

Try all of them and different combinations between and let me know.

If it was useful, and you liked it, Kudo it!

Thank you,
Gonza
Insignia™ Support Team

Visitor

Set resolution to 1920x1080?  The TV is not reporting that the resolution is available, and therefore I cannot select it.

Set resolution to1080i? Nope. The previous screenshot is still what I see

Overscan? There is no overscan option.

Zoom? As always, set to Normal

Universal Access - Set to Off

I did notice that the rom-based power-on screen (white, grey apple logo) DOES display 1920x1080.  Its almost as if the OS receives bad EDID  information from the display and tries to accomodate it.

Visitor

Hello Flakor,

Both the TV and the Mac have overscan option, on the TV will be at Advanced Video Options and on the Mac (according to the screen shot you sent) will be available at the right side, try playing with those settings, either turning them ON or OFF on in the Mac, sliding the bar. You can also disconnect the HDMI cable and then reconnect it on the Mac and press the Detect Displays.

Thank you,
Gonza
Insignia™ Support Team

Visitor

First, I want to UN-kudo your message.  I wanted to click reply, not flag it as helpful.

Second, you are wrong about the overscan options.  There is an INACCESSIBLE overscan option on the television. (which is set to "Off" anyway). There is an UNDERscan slider, which artificially shrinks the screen and is currently inaccessible.

This is becoming very frustrating... trying to resolve this. There are so many issues with the television;

For now, let's set aside the Overscan problems, and assume that the problem is clearly with Apple, Sony and Tivo... and that Vizio televisions go above and beyond to accommodate the poor design of these three companies.  I don't care about overscan. Let's not mention overscan again.

Start over again... renewed focus.

I am connecting an aluminum Mac mini (mid-2010) to this Insignia television via HDMI.

When I select 1024x768 resolution from the Displays control panel, the television displays a horizontally compressed image in 1080p.

When I select 1080p from the displays control panel, the television displays a horizontally compressed 4:3 screen at 1080p

When I select 640x480 (Stretched), the television displays a horizontally compressed 4:3 screen at 1080p.

My question is...

How can I get each of these resolutions to display as expected?  That is, having the 1080p setting be a widescreen presentation, 1024x768 to display a non-distorted image in 1024x768 resolution, and 640x480 Stretched to be a horizontally stretched 16:9 presentation.

Visitor

Falkor,

In order to better assist you, please let me know what Mac OS version you are using, what NVIDIA card was installed and what cable (type and brand) you are using to connect both devices. Also, let me know what Display information you get on Graphics/Displays (and if the TV is being recognized and  listed under model number)

Thank you,
Gonza
Insignia™ Support Team

Visitor

I'm using MacOS X 10.6.4, on a "Mac mini aluminum"

The system profiler reports this as Display:

NVIDIA GeForce 320M:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 320M

Type: GPU

Bus: PCI

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x08a4

Revision ID: 0x00a2

ROM Revision: 3546

Displays:

Display Connector:

NS-L37Q-10A:

Resolution: 1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Rotation: Supported

Television: Yes

This machine has two video outputs, a Mini DisplayPort (which is not being used) and HDMI (which has the TV)

The HDMI  being used are the two which came with the TV.  (or so I thought. Odd that Insignia would package two vizio cables).  Also just tried a "zline" cable as well.  No difference.

Visitor

It's really an odd case. All the information is correct, the screen is recognized by the mac mini with the correct resolution and seems to be displayed at the correct rate only that you get the image chopped. It's really hard to determine where the issue may be (when you select the input and change the resolution you get on your TV screen the 1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz??).

At this point if you tried this computer on another TV and the image is displayed correctly, I would ask you to contact our support line so a Geek Squad Agent can check on this TV. Since there seems to be more to it than just an overscan issue.

Thank you,
Gonza
Insignia™ Support Team