Add Product

Search Results:

Visitor

Suddenly lost all my digital channels (I use an antenna, not cable). Model NS-32E570A11

I have an Insignia LCD flatscreen, Model NS-32E570A11.
A few nights ago I was watching TV (I don't have cable, just use an antenna to get all the local digital channels), and my cats were running around the room and crashed pretty hard into my antenna and knocked it over, and it fell off the TV stand almost to the floor. Immediately and suddenly, my TV didn't pick up ANY channels. I have never had this problem before with this TV and have always used an antenna. The channel I had been watching immediately went black, and no matter what channel I went to it just had a black screen and said "No Signal." I made sure the antenna connection was secure. I went ahead and bought a new antenna, pretty much the same as the old one, and I attached it (it has an attached coaxial cable like my old one). I did the channel scan, but the only channel I get is PBS. All the other local channels (ABC, CBS, NBC, and FOX) still show a black screen and say "No Signal."
I also noticed that the dialogue box that pops up with the channel number on these channels says "ATV," whereas the dialogue box for PBS, which is coming in clear, says "DTV."

When my antenna got knocked over is it possible that something broke in the TV that is preventing me from getting a digital signal for any of those channels? I examined the metal "port" (sorry, I'm not a very technical person) on the back of the TV where the coaxial cable from the antenna attaches, and nothing is noticeably damaged or bent or anything. I have also unplugged everything and plugged it back in.
I should mention that the TV works fine when I am playing a DVD--I just don't have any of my local channels except PBS, and I have repeatedly scanned. I have also already made sure that in the Menu under "Choose your TV Source" I have selected Antenna and NOT Cable.
My brother works in IT and he said the only thing he can think of, though its a long shot, is that "maybe one of the cats gave it a strong static shock and horked up the TV that way." But he really doesn't know what to think.
I can't afford to buy a new TV, so any help is really appreciated. I have only had this TV for 2-3 years.
Please advise--thank you so much!

Highlighted
Visitor

Re: Suddenly lost all my digital channels (I use an antenna, not cable). Model NS-32E570A11

Hello katybee73,

Welcome to Community@ Insignia™!

That is definitely a weird situation.  It is possible that the jack on the back of the TV was pulled loose from the internal parts.  There's no way to be sure without a technician taking a look at the TV..

This will take a little bit of time, but I'd like you to run a channel scan.  Instead of using antenna, I'd like you to use cable and when it asks if you have a box, say no.  After that scan finishes, rerun the antenna scan.  Also move the antenna around.  Get it closer to a window if you can. 

Regards,
Jeremy
Insignia™ Support

Visitor

Re: Suddenly lost all my digital channels (I use an antenna, not cable). Model NS-32E570A11

I will give this a try tonight and post an update later on with the result. Thank you!

Visitor

Ok, I ran the channel scan for "cable" and then I ran the scan once again for "antenna" as suggested and nothing happened. I know the antenna is working because I unscrewed it while the TV was on PBS and the picture went to black, then came back when I put the antenna back in. Pretty sure the internal tuner must be totally shot.... how the heck could a cat knocking down my antenna make the internal tuner completely crap out?!  :-\ Sorry, just frustrated as I have no money right now for a new TV, or to pay for sending it in for repairs. The TV was a gift and I highly doubt they still have the receipt.

Visitor

Hello katybee73,

Are you able to move the antenna around at all and try the scan again?  It is rather weird and not something I would expect to happen.  The antenna may have been just heavy enough to damage the tuner.  If you can get your friends phone number and name, then Best Buy may be able to find the receipt for you.  

Regards,
Jeremy
Insignia™ Support

Visitor

my parents who bought me this TV found the receipt. however, i spoke with geek squad just now and a rep just told me that they don't do in-store repairs on televisions that are outside of warranty. (i don't believe this TV was ever covered by a warranty or any kind of geek squad protection plan.) he advised me to just buy a new TV because this wouldn't be worth the price of parts and labor even if i found someone who would do the repairs without having a protection plan. this was news to me.... what are your thoughts on this? do you have an estimate on how much something like this would/should cost without being under a warranty, or where/who could do it for me if not best buy?

Visitor

Hello katybee73,

The TV came with a 2 year manufacturer's warranty.  When was the TV purchased?  

Unfortunately there is no way to know how much repairs would be without knowing for sure what was wrong.  It could be fairly cheap or it could be more expensive than buying a new TV.  Prices will also vary depending on your location.

Regards,
Jeremy
Insignia™ Support

Visitor

I caused a static shock, having barely bumped my antenna, and lost four channels. I, too, can't get them back, didn't damage the antenna, and checked connections... just to do so. This is very odd, but I can't imagine why just a tiny shock could do such a thing. Also, I chose 'connected to antenna' and did a re-scan, only to be completely unable to go to the lost channels at all. Just to be sure the shock caused this dilemma, I did check my other televisions, and they do still have the four channels. This is really a drag.

Visitor

Hello jsakti,

Welcome to Community@ Insignia™!

The antenna channels that the TV finds depends almost entirely on what the antenna is able to find and feed to the TV. The only option you have on the TV is to run the antenna scan again (which you stated you had tried). Do all of your TVs feed from one antenna or do they have individual antennas connected to them? If they each have an antenna, you might try a different antenna on this TV, or try this TV in a different location.

If this TV still will not pick up those channels, it may be that the static shock did damage something inside of the TV, though I think this is very unlikely. 

Regards,
Ryan
Insignia™ Support