Add Product

Search Results:

Visitor

NSLCD42HD-09 aspect ratio issue

I have had this TV for a little while and thus far have had no complaints. But the other day I was testing out a few blu-rays that were in the 1.66 : 1 aspect ratio, and noticed they didn't have the black bars on the left and right that should be there when a film of that ratio is shown on a 16:9 TV. I also tested a few DVDs of 1.66:1, but again, the same issue.

I tried using the same bluray player on my other TV, and the films show up with the bars on the left and right as they should. 

I have tested this using both the HDMI and Component IN on the TV and nope, still not the right ratio on my Insignia.

Now this is using the WIDE setting, but if I go to the NORMAL setting, the image is squished to fill the 1.33:1 ratio size, which also looks wrong. 

Now what I am I supposed to do to make my movies show in the right aspect ratio? It may only be a few inches of difference, but I want to watch my movies the way they were meant to be seen.

Having it on WIDE stretches it, having it on NORMAL squishes is, ZOOM crops it as does CINEMA. 

I am at a loss. It is really frusterating to not be able to watch things in the proper format. 

Visitor

Re: NSLCD42HD-09 aspect ratio issue

Hello,

Welcome to Community@Inisgnia™! You mention you tested this on another TV, is this TV also a 16:9 or a 4:3 one?. Did you set your Blu-Ray for the TV type? You will need to setup the correct aspect ratio, if not you will always get a wrong aspec ratio.

Thank you,
Gonza
Insignia™ Support Team

Visitor

Yes, the other TV was a 16:9 TV, and it displayed 16:9 DVDs, 1.66:1 DVDs and 1.33:1 DVDs all perfectly, without having to change aspect ratios on the TV or my Blu-Ray player.

And yes, my Blu-ray player is set to display on a 16:9 TV at 1080p through HDMI. I kept these setting when connecting the player to my other TV and it displayed all of the discs at their proper aspect ratios. I didn't need to switch aspect ratios at all with this TV, as it would automatically adjust to suit the disc. 

Visitor

Hi philburque46,

1.66:1 is the European aspect ratio which may vary, and it's not compatible with some US TVs since wide TVs may come in 16:9 and 16:10, although all of them are usually advertised as Wide. If you already set your DVD player for the correct TV type, and you tried all the zoom options, then the TV is likely not compatible with that particular ratio.

Thank you,
Gonza
Insignia™ Support Team

Visitor

You see, that brings up another issue. The reason to buy a High Definition television is so that a person can enjoy High Definition movies and television shows on said television. Now one of the biggest pushes of Blu-ray is not only is the quality greater than a DVD, but also now many films are finally being put out in their proper and original aspect ratio. While 1.66:1 may not be the most common, it's not just for European films.

The Nightmare Before Christmas Blu-ray from Disney is presented in it's original ratio, which happens to be 1.66:1, just to name one of the few films that I have that are meant to be seen in this ratio. This isn't a weird arty European film or anything, just a regular American Disney film. Now, if I load it up on my Blu-ray player on my NS LCD42HD-09, it is stretched to fill the entire screen.

Now one of the reasons I bought my Insignia television is because although I am a lover of film, I am also just a student who saved up to buy a High Definition TV and didn't have the biggest budget. I decided on the Insignia TV because it looked like it had everything I needed in a television and would be Blu-ray compatible. 

However, at no time before purchasing it, and at no time while reading the manual, did I run across anything that said that this television does not display all aspect ratios. Had I known I would end up having issues watching Blu-rays in their proper aspect ratios, I might have thought twice about this model. 

What I would like to know is how can this issue just be shrugged off as "the TV is likely not compatible with that particular aspect ratio."?

Again, this isn't some one off never used aspect ratio, this is one that quite a few Blu-rays and DVDs have been encoded in, and I haven't read of anyone else having these issues on any other TVs (I did search for quite a while before coming to this Message Board).

How was this issue not taken into consideration when designing this television? And how am I just expected to accept the response I got as an answer? I came here to get help about solving this issue. As far as I understand, this means that the film is being overscanned on this TV, and being stretched to fill the entire screen, rather than leave the small black bars on the left and right of the frame when showing it on the TV. Can the overscanning be disabled?

I really would like help here in solving my issue, rather than just being told that I'm basically out of luck.

Thanks