Add Product

Search Results:

Visitor

NS-55L260A13 Picture "Distorts" Then Turns Off

Hello,

I am having issues with my Insignia 55" TV model# NS-55L260A13. The issue is somewhat difficult to describe. The best way I can describe what happens is the picture "distorts" then turns off, back on and the cycle repeats.

The best way I can describe what I mean by "distorts" is that the picture will suddenly become filled with mostly pink vertical lines (very similar to what you would see on a computer monitor when changing resolutions). I can attempt to capture video if anyone would like to see.

I have observed this issue on multiple inputs. I have tried all 3 HDMI inputs, as well as the composite (Yellow, White, Red) input. This same issue has appeared with multiple devices. The problem develops usually after the TV has been on 30-45min. Once the problem begins, this cycle seems to repeat every 30 seconds - 2 minutes. If the TV is left off (either plugged or unplugged) for a while, the whole scenario repeats and it will work fine for 30-45min. 

I am knowledable when it come to working on electronics and I have a digital multimeter at my disposal. Does anybody have any tips or ideas where I can begin? Also, is there a service manual available for this TV?

Thank you,

-ZZ

Visitor

Re: NS-55L260A13 Picture "Distorts" Then Turns Off

I also forgot to add that I updated the firmware to the latest version.

Visitor

Hello ZZ04,

Welcome to Community@ Insignia™!

First I want you to unplug the power cable from the TV for at least a minute. While it is unplugged, disconnect the coaxial connection (round, screw on) if one is connected. Once you plug it back in and get it turned on, see if it happens again. When the picture distorts, bring up the TV menu and see if it is distorted like the rest of it. 

Regards,
Ryan
Insignia™ Support

Visitor

Thank you for your assistance.

I performed the steps you requested. First, I do not have any coaxial connections in the TV. Also, the TV has been unplugged until beginning this test. Here are my observations.

When the "distortions" appear, I then push the menu button and nothing appears. When the TV came back on, I pushed the menu button again to verify the button works. I also noticed that the TV did turn off once without any "distortions" appearing.

I hope this is helpful information. Let me know if I should perform any additional tests.
Visitor

Hello ZZ04,

Thank you for responding!

How do you know that it is the TV turning on and off? You can watch the lights on the front of the TV to be certain. The light will be red when the TV is off and blue when the TV is on. If you can watch those lights and know that it is in fact the TV that is turning off, the TV is experiencing a hardware issue and would need to be repaired. 

Regards,
Ryan
Insignia™ Support

Visitor

I know that the TV is turning off because the light turns red, then flashes as it turns back on.

I do have an interesting update, however. I changed how my surround sound is connected. I began using the digital coaxial connection for audio to the receiver. When I made this change, I also disabled the TV speaker. The symptoms seem to be gone now.

This seems to have allowed me to work around the problem for now. I would still like to continue looking into this in case it gets worse.

Thank you!
Visitor

Hello ZZ04,

I'm glad you were able to find a work around and get it working!

Based on the lights, you are right, the TV is turning on and off. I am not sure though how the stereo receiver connection could cause the TV to turn on and off. There may be something wrong with the port you were previously using. Based on the model number it is probably outside of the 1 year manufacturer warranty, but do you know if an extended plan was purchased? Even though it is working now it wouldn't hurt to get someone out to look at it. 

Regards,
Ryan
Insignia™ Support

Visitor

Thank you for your assistance.

This TV was actually given to me with the knowledge of the issue, so there is no warranty. When I first got it, I actually tried connecting it to the cable box and other devices either via HDMI or other connections without the receiver. It seems as if the issue was only worked around when I disabled the TV speaker. I'm afraid to enable the TV speaker for fear the problem may return and not go away when I disable the TV speaker again. If this were a computer, I would suspect the sound card.

Thanks again for the help.
Visitor

Hello ZZ04,

I honestly am not sure how the speakers could cause the screen to distort, but that has to be what is causing it. That being said, I do understand not wanting to turn the speakers back on. If you have a work around that allow you to use it, I see no reason to need to turn the speakers back on. 

Regards,
Ryan
Insignia™ Support

Visitor

How do you disable the Speakers? Is it in the main menu somewhere? I've been having the same issue forever as well as at least 100 people that have reported it to Consumer Reports.