Add Product

Search Results:

Visitor
Accepted Solution

NS-42L780A12 and Sony HT-XT1 "home theater" (soundbase) INLink (HDMI CEC) and ARC problem

I cannot seem to be able have these two pieces of equipment work if I leave enabled the ability of the TV to turn the Sony power off and on -- after the TV has been turned off (which turns off the Sony) and is turned back on (which turns the Sony back on) there is sound for a brief while from the TV speakers and then everything goes silent.  The Sony shows that it is connected to the TV (rather than any of the other possible inputs, all of which happen to be empty.)  If I turn the INLink off and then back on , without touching the Sony, sound does indeed then come through the Sony (with volume and mute controllable with the TV remote (which is the main purpose of using the INLink function.)  If I disable the function for controlling the Sony power from the TV everything works fine: I can turn the TV off and then later turn it back on and after a few hiccups sound comes through the Sony.  In short, if I make sure the Sony is turned on before the TV everything seems to work.  The only connection between the TV and the Sony as an HDMI cable between the respective ARC connectors on both.  Do you know if there is anything I can do to make it work without having to manually make sure the power on the Sony is on before the TV?  I've tried having the digital (fiber optic) audio cable between the two also connected, but that doesn't make any difference.  The only thing I can think of is connecting the the fiber optic cable (to carry the sound) and moving the HDMI cable to go between almost any two other connectors (both have several) in order to carry the CEC signals but I don't want to try that unless I'm sure it will work since getting at the connectors is a bit awkward.

Visitor

Re: NS-42L780A12 and Sony HT-XT1 "home theater" (soundbase) INLink (HDMI CEC) and ARC prob

Hello TMPL,

Welcome to Community@ Insignia™!

It sounds like the Receiver is needing to power on first to initiate the HDCP Handshake. Have you tried having the Receiver power up the TV instead of vice versa? Another question, are you using newer HDMI cords that would have adequate bandwidth to support HD, ARC, CEC? If your running into signal transfer issues upgrading to a newer version HDMI will sometimes correct those.

Regards,
Jon
Insignia™ Support

Visitor

Re: NS-42L780A12 and Sony HT-XT1 "home theater" (soundbase) INLink (HDMI CEC) and ARC prob

Hi Jon,

Thanks for the quick response.  I am now thoroughly puzzled.  I was responding to your message and thought of something I ought to do -- check what settings the INLink page said it had when I turned the TV on (with it controlling the Sony) and sound wasn't coming through.  I switched the INLink settings back to their original values (device power control back on) to check on that, and discovered everything is now working fine:  I can turn the TV off (with the remote), the TV turns the soundbase off, then turn the TV back on, soundbase comes on -- and lo and behold the sound is now coming through the soundbase and not the TV speakers.  I know for sure it wasn't working yesterday but it is working fine today (no changes in wiring or different settings.)  Of course I can't say the problem has been solved, but I'll let you know if it recurs (although if it's a intermittant hardware failure I'm well aware I'm long past the warrenty period!)  As to your HDMI cable question, the cable is one I bought from Best Buy less than a year ago so I doubt it's part of the problem.  I had already thought of your suggestion of turning the Sony on first and having it turn the TV on, but I haven't been able to find any remote codes to let my Comcast remote operate the Sony, so that was a non-starter.

Visitor

Eureka!  I found the problem.   While your response, Jon, didn't directly give it to me, it prompted me to do some more experimentation and digging deeper into the Sony instruction manual.  It turns out that buried deep in the Sony's menus is a setting to *always* output something on their HDMI-out aka ARC connector, even in standby mode.  By default that setting is off, since apparently it isn't needed if the soundbase is connected to a Sony TV.   I had completely ignored that setting since it said it had to do with the "pass-thru" function, which I wasn't using (I have nothing connected to the HDMI-in connectors to pass thru!).  Whatever else it does, when it is set on it would appear that in standby mode it leaves one or more of the pins on that connector active, which the Insignia TV apparently nicely detects even before the Sony has come up to power.  So, I'm now a happy camper.   I would place the blame as one on poor instruction manual writing, giving Sony 70% of the blame and Insignia 30% (your manual says nothing about it needing some kind of a "live" signal on the ARC HDMI circuit.)  I will probably go back to my review of the Sony on the Best Buy site and revise it!