Add Product

Search Results:

new smart tv

just got a new smart fire tv.  I still have the coaxial cable connection for my cable which I hooked up.  How do I get my basic cable channels?  Food network , Discovery etc?  I went to settings and tried to find last input in display screen- actually did not find it under any of the screens.  Just want to view the cable channels  Help

Valued Expert

Re: new smart tv

You should need a cable box that you get from your cable provider

I am not an employee of Best Buy and all opinions left on this forum are my own. Please leave Kudo’s if you like a post or click Accept as Solution if a post answers your query.
Topics: 1,705
Kudos: 859
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 339

To echo what bobberuchi said, the cable companies have now encrypted many of the channels on cable systems and as a result a QAM tuner is no longer sufficient even for basic channels. If the standard channels are all you need, consider getting a basic box that tunes in digitally to these stations but your ability to get premium channels may go away.

One other thing if there are specific networks you like, download those networks to your TV as your cable or sattelite provider will give you free access to watch those channels live over WIFI if you log in.

Please be aware ISPs may have Data Caps so if you watch hours on any given day, you could rack up bandwidth usage in a hurry 

***Please keep in mind that I am not employed by Best Buy and are just a regular forums Super User and an everyday shopper like you. If you find my posting helpful, please add kudos to it. Remember to mark answered questions as solved if something helped you to speed up the answer queue for other customers***

so I looked and I have a cable box from Comcast that is working and the coaxial cable comes in from wall to back and another cable goes to tv.  It is an old box for sure- is this maybe the problem?  I need to upgrade?

If the box still works it would be treated as an analog cable connection. In this case a channel scan according to the user manual might be in order. 

Does the TV and box have Red , White and Yellow inputs? If scanning fails and you have those connections you may wish to get a pair of AV cables for a quick fix. Then select AV from the Input Menu on the tv. 

I strongly suggest getting a new box if you're able to, however Comcast may increase your bill depending on the type of box you get. If DVR is not your cup of cake for recording get a non DVR box.

Just curious do you have one of those older Motorola or Arris cable boxes? The wide rectangle one that does digital cable only? 

***Please keep in mind that I am not employed by Best Buy and are just a regular forums Super User and an everyday shopper like you. If you find my posting helpful, please add kudos to it. Remember to mark answered questions as solved if something helped you to speed up the answer queue for other customers***

So I went to xfinity got a new cable box. Connected it to cable with the coaxial Jack's and activated the jack. No cable. Tried with hdmi cable same nothing. I guess it might be the tv?

Who is the manufacturer  of the fire tv ? We may be able to provide you with a link to get help for it. 

Valued Expert

did you go into settings and make sure it was set for cable input and not antenna

I am not an employee of Best Buy and all opinions left on this forum are my own. Please leave Kudo’s if you like a post or click Accept as Solution if a post answers your query.