Add Product

Search Results:

Will antenna's no longer work soon?

Hi All - I'm really confused and hope some of you might know the answer.  We were planning on getting rid of our DISH service and simply getting an antenna for local channels and using Netflix or something similar for other shows/movies.  However, someone told me the other day that in the coming weeks or months antennas will no longer be able to pick up local channels. Really!?  Now I know a few years back there was a switch where you had to get a converter box to still receive local channels, but I haven't heard anything about another/new change.  Does anyone possibly know about an upcoming change that would make it so local channels aren't available even with an antenna?

Any help or info would be greatly appreciated!!  We don't want to purchase a quality antenna just to find out it won't work soon.

Many thanks!

Trusted Contributor

Re: Will antenna's no longer work soon?

Whoever gave you this information should be put on your ignore list. There is no truth to this.

Many people are ditching cable and satellite providers for online services. Myself included.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Disclosure: Former BBY employee.
Topics: 40
Kudos: 183
Solutions: 134

Actually SlimJim there is a little truth to that. But it is not certain and definently wont happen that soon.

Fox and one of the other major 4 networks has threatened to pull all of its OTA channels over the Aereo dispute.

http://business.time.com/2013/04/09/news-corp-threatens-to-pull-fox-off-the-air-in-aereo-dispute/
Trusted Contributor

@Neihn wrote:
Actually SlimJim there is a little truth to that. But it is not certain and definently wont happen that soon.

Fox and one of the other major 4 networks has threatened to pull all of its OTA channels over the Aereo dispute.

http://business.time.com/2013/04/09/news-corp-threatens-to-pull-fox-off-the-air-in-aereo-dispute/

Good call out, Neihn, although I don't believe this is the same situation the OP is describing.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Topics: 40
Kudos: 183
Solutions: 134

Actually yes it is unless I am misreading what the OP means.

I assumed he was referring to the OTA broadcasts of like Fox, NBC, CBS, and ABC that you get from a Indoor/Outdoor antenna. In this case its the same thing because those broadcasts are the ones Fox and others are threatening to shut down because of Aereo and even because of Dish Networks new Hopper.

But it is not some kind new technology switch like we had a few years ago from SD to HD. This will be a complete shut off of the OTA broadcasts.
Trusted Contributor

Based on this article. I think there is 0% chance of a complete shut down of ATSC broadcast.

Thanks all, I really appreciate your input.  And to clarify (sorry, I should have been more clear), yes, I'm refering to channels such as ABC, NBC, etc.

Thanks again, your information has been helpful!

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Some thoughts...

• how does it cost a month for a cable provider?
  • how much is an antenna?  Better ones will cost more, but I'm happy with some antennas under $10 (I live 10 miles with a clear view to broadcast towers).
  • how much would I save each month until OTA is dead?

I would continue with OTA and enjoy the savings while they sort this mess out.

BTW.... who is your internet provider?  Some cable providers offer bundles with their internet service for additional savings.