Add Product

Search Results:

Which Streaming Device for older Samsung HDTV

Can someone recommend a streaming device that will work with 2016 Samsung?  On the fence with purchasing a 4k TV but that will happen soon- meanwhile, would love to use apps that are not options with our older TV. Thanks 

Valued Expert

Re: Which Streaming Device for older Samsung HDTV

Does it have an HDMI input?

I would assume it does as it is  only 5 years old.

I would recommend a Roku Streaming Stick

Roku was my main streaming device for many years until I finally got a smart TV last summer. 

I am not an employee of Best Buy and all opinions left on this forum are my own. Please leave Kudo’s if you like a post or click Accept as Solution if a post answers your query.

Thank you! Yes it has HDMI input and also is a smart TV but from what I’m told, some of the newer apps will not work with Samsung Smart TVs with technology older than 2018.
Valued Expert

I have an older Samsung Smart TV. 

I found the Roku device worked better and was easier to use.

That and I cannot load HBO Max onto it.  Some licensing thing between Samsung and HBO.

Also, you can take your Roku with you and access the apps anywhere.  Other than I believe if it is content from your cable provider that works with your IP address. 

I am not an employee of Best Buy and all opinions left on this forum are my own. Please leave Kudo’s if you like a post or click Accept as Solution if a post answers your query.
Topics: 1,699
Kudos: 856
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 338

Trying not to get too technical here, but if you purchase a newer Roku model, make sure that your TV has adequate support for HDCP copy protection as some contents are encrypted and won't play on the TV unless your TV has a minimum version level required. I'm sure you're going to be fine but just wanted to get that out there.

Obviously a newer model TV won't run into that issue.

***Please keep in mind that I am not employed by Best Buy and are just a regular forums Super User and an everyday shopper like you. If you find my posting helpful, please add kudos to it. Remember to mark answered questions as solved if something helped you to speed up the answer queue for other customers***