Add Product

Search Results:

Want to view laptop screen on Insignia TV

We have an Insignia NS-48DR510NA17 TV (bought in 2016 and sort of regretting it - not a very smart "smart" TV).

The TV has 3 HDMI ports (1 is ARC). My 3 year old laptop doesn't have a HDMI port, so I bought (from Best buy, got delivered last week) a HDMI to VGA converter (also Insignia). Doesn't work with any of the 3 ports. Can't change display on laptop. "Should" be easy to do, but I've spent over an hour trying all 3 ports. Husband's laptop is HDMI but that doesn't work, either.  ??

Highlighted
Valued Expert

Re: Want to view laptop screen on Insignia TV

Trying to display a laptop screen on a TV is going to be disappointing at best as the graphics driver on your laptop is designed to supply to a 13 to 17 inch laptop monitor.   Trying to go from VGA to HD TV will be very poor quality to say the least.  I have connected my laptop to my 50" TV via HDMI and it barely usable for anything other than a photo slide show. 

The ARC on your TV is meant to go to a Receiver that is ARC compatible.  

IF You happen to have a receiver that you can connect to the TV via HDMI and plug the VGA out to the receiver that might work.

Look at the keyboard on your laptop.  there should be a display button.  Varies from brand and model but generally looks like a pair of monitors overlapping each other. 

it is probably also a different color than the Function keys.  There should be a coorsponding button on your keyboard that is the same color down by the Alt and CTRL buttons.  You would press that first then the display button. 

I am not an employee of Best Buy and all opinions left on this forum are my own. Please leave Kudo’s if you like a post or click Accept as Solution if a post answers your query.

Re: Want to view laptop screen on Insignia TV

Thanks very much! Same thing as using change display - dumb "smart" TV just doesn't recognize anything. Disliking this TV - doesn't work with my speakers, either. Well, I can set Roku settings to private and connect phone to blue tooth receiver, but then I have to keep my phone awake at all times ....  Inputs only, no output. Smiley Sad