Add Product

Search Results:

Accepted Solution

UN40F6300AF smart tv set up advice

I just purchased a Samsung Smart TV (UN40F6300AF) and was wondering if I can purchase my own set top box instead of renting the Verizon set top box.

Also, the standard remore that came with the tv won't change the channels, but all other features work, any suggestions?  

And finally,I would like to buy a DVD player that can record, any recomendations?

Topics: 11
Kudos: 8
Blog Posts: 3
Solutions: 22

Re: UN40F6300AF smart tv set up advice

Hi Debreezly,

I’m not too familiar with Verizon set top boxes, and from what I remember you’re unable to provide your own box and must rent one from Verizon. Another community member may have other suggestions though.

The first thing that comes to mind when you have a brand new TV that won’t change channels is that a channel scan has never been performed. Have you gone into the menu and ran the scan?

Lastly, I don’t have any personal recommendations on a recording DVD player. My best advice is to check out BestBuy.com and read some of the reviews that customers have written to help you make an informed decision.

Hope this helps!

Agent Kevin|Retired Community Connector | Best Buy® Corporate

While I'm a current employee of Best Buy, my views, opinions, and advice do not reflect those of Best Buy or its affiliates.

Thanks Kevin, It was wishful thinking to not have to rent tthe set top box from Verizon.  

I did go thru the menu and scan the channels, twice, but it still won't work.

Topics: 11
Kudos: 8
Blog Posts: 3
Solutions: 22

No problem! 

Did the channel scan turn up any channels? Do you have anything plugged in to the TV (Coax) input?

If you're just running HDMI from the Verizon box to the TV, you most likely won't have the ability to change channels as there would be no need for it. 

Agent Kevin|Retired Community Connector | Best Buy® Corporate

While I'm a current employee of Best Buy, my views, opinions, and advice do not reflect those of Best Buy or its affiliates.
Topics: 64
Kudos: 70
Solutions: 33

Unless you have an external Antenna hooked up you would not receive programming by going TV.  If you have a set top box that is what you would be using to receive programming and in turn using to  change channels.  I know some cable providers use cable cards I do not know if Verizon is one of them and your TV would have to accept it as well.  Not sure if it does.

Give Kudos if you like this post or Accept as Solution if it answers your query!
Topics: 40
Kudos: 183
Solutions: 134

Verizon does offer cable cards. But you would have to have a set top box that accepts cable cards or set up a PC to act as a media server and get a device such as the HD HomeRun Prime because that TV does not directly accept cable cards.

Plugging directly in to the TV will get you some channels but it wont get you the HD channels or channels that are encrypted such as HBO, Cinemax, etc. But it should still show the standard def channels of the likes of ESPN, TruTV, Spike, USA, local channels, etc.
Frequent Contributor

@mstng87gt wrote:

Unless you have an external Antenna hooked up you would not receive programming by going TV.  If you have a set top box that is what you would be using to receive programming and in turn using to  change channels.  I know some cable providers use cable cards I do not know if Verizon is one of them and your TV would have to accept it as well.  Not sure if it does.

FCC rules mandate that all cable providers are required to have cablecards available.