Add Product

Search Results:

Sound and picture out of sync

We have a problem with sound and picture being out of sync.  It works fine when I connect the cable box directly to the TV using RCA to the audio and video ports, but when I connect the TV using HDMI for video and run the audio through the receiver using RCA cables, the sound and picture are out of sync. It is most noticeable on news and talk shows and Fox News is so bad its impossible to watch.  Why that channel is worse than the others is anyone's guess.  I've been the usual route with our provider, but they are out of ideas, and since I've already isolated it to how the connections are cabled, I suspect it has something to do with the disparity in signals due to cabling, or a setting that needs to be changed.  TV is a new Sony Bravia, Receiver is a high end Pioneer, about 6 years old.

Frequent Contributor

Re: Sound and picture out of sync

@tlwinkler13 wrote:

We have a problem with sound and picture being out of sync.  It works fine when I connect the cable box directly to the TV using RCA to the audio and video ports, but when I connect the TV using HDMI for video and run the audio through the receiver using RCA cables, the sound and picture are out of sync. It is most noticeable on news and talk shows and Fox News is so bad its impossible to watch.  Why that channel is worse than the others is anyone's guess.  I've been the usual route with our provider, but they are out of ideas, and since I've already isolated it to how the connections are cabled, I suspect it has something to do with the disparity in signals due to cabling, or a setting that needs to be changed.  TV is a new Sony Bravia, Receiver is a high end Pioneer, about 6 years old.

Your TV should have an optical out port you can use to run audio to the reciver. Connect your video components to the TV via HDMI, then connect the TV to the reciever via optical. This should solve the sync issue. However there are some limitations doing this. HDMI has DRM, (Digital Rights Management), associated with it that will limit any audio from an HDMI source connected in this fashion to stereo, if you have 5.1 you won't get 5.1 to the reciever.

The only way around this DRM, is a new reciever that has HDMI ports. This way you can run your video components into the reciever via HDMI, then a single HDMI cable to the TV. You'll use your reciever as a switch for the different components. There are other advantages that the newer recievers have including HD Audio codecs, but dealing with nasty DRM issues is the main one.

My receiver does have HDMI ports.  Now I'll have to figure out how to do the connections.  I was thinking something like that might be the answer.  Thanks.

Topics: 64
Kudos: 70
Solutions: 33

It is actually easier using just the HDMI, less connections to make. how old is the receiver?  Does it allow you to watch TV without the receiver being on or do you always have to have the receiver on to watch a program?

Give Kudos if you like this post or Accept as Solution if it answers your query!

yes, we can watch tv without the receiver if we turn the sound up on the tv. in looking at the receiver it almost looks like i can run hdmi from the box to the receiver and then out to the tv  receiver is 6 years old and has hdmi in for tv/sat and then an independent hdmi out.

I was looking to see if the receiver has passthrough so you can watch TV while the receiver is off.  If you hook it up to the receiver without that feature (its almost standard now) you would need to have the receiver on evertime you want to watch something.  You may want it that way not sure. What make and model receiver do you have? 

And yes you should be able to hook up the box directly to one of the inputs on the Receiver and then out of the receiver to the TV.  Just make sure which ever input you use on the back of the receiver you select the corresponding input on the unit i.e. TV or Bluray, Tuner, Etc.

Give Kudos if you like this post or Accept as Solution if it answers your query!

Receiver is Pioneer.  Not sure the model (not home at the moment).  We never watch TV without the receiver because the sound is so crappy, so we would always have the receiver on.

LOL ok that eliminates that problem.  Then yes I would hook everything up as mentioned earlier.

I had same problem after using same set-up for two years...just started after an update from my provider.  I went into tv audio settings and change the audio delay until it matched up.  Tip make sure you are on a show like Shark Tank so you can see the mouth when they speak.  Had to set my delay on 7.