Add Product

Search Results:

Re: Sony X950G constantly freezing up. Tried

Update. Yesterday I hardwired via ethernet to get past the wifi concerns Sony seemed to fixate on. This morning, the youtube apps were a agin frozen. Wifi was also turned off on the TV. Our 900F and A8G this morning are both working fine with the same apps (via wifi). Will discuss again with Sony and hoping for a different response today (from them).

It is also interesting one of the first things Sony pushed us to do was to set the TV to perofrm automatic softweare updates. So if they do have a means to return the TV to its original out of the box state it will very soom thereafter update the Sony android software. While doing daily hard restarts is not the end of the world it is just a workaround for a brand new expensive TV. Just glad I found this thread showing other 950G owners are experiencing similar things. Sony thus far acts as if our case if the first time they have heard of the problem.

I didn't do anything with the remote, and it was still on the latest firmware. I initially tried several times resetting using the reset in the settings menu. That didn't work at all. I called Sony and they walked me through doing a hard factory reset. What you do, is on the back bottom left of the TV there are 3 buttons,  with the TV off you hold in the middle and bottom buttons ( power & volume down), and plug in the TV. I had my wife plug it in because the outlet was to far. That was about 3 weeks ago and so far the video freezing, and audio out of sync has gone away. I know that process has not worked for everyone who tried it. I guess I'm lucky it did for me. I'm not convinced that the problem will not return. And doing a hard reset means you have to go through the hassle of setting up all of your programs again.

>>I didn't do anything with the remote, and it was still on the latest firmware. I initially tried several times resetting using the reset in the settings menu. That didn't work at all. I called Sony and they walked me through doing a hard factory reset. What you do, is on the back bottom left of the TV there are 3 buttons,  with the TV off you hold in the middle and bottom buttons ( power & volume down), and plug in the TV. I had my wife plug it in because the outlet was to far. That was about 3 weeks ago and so far the video freezing, and audio out of sync has gone away. I know that process has not worked for everyone who tried it. I guess I'm lucky it did for me. I'm not convinced that the problem will not return. And doing a hard reset means you have to go through the hassle of setting up all of your programs again.<<

Thanks Eddie and glad your issues have gone away thus far. And hope they are fixed. Sony support was closed today. No idea if due to virus or St Pattys Day but will see tomorrow. I won't try the same hard factory reset unless Sony directs me to doing so but will do whatever it takes to resolve this. I've already had to restore all my settings (calibration values per input) multiple times. For us we have not had any audio issues but the app freezes are almost daily (every morning). This morning same thing happened after being connected via ethernet and not wifi.

I managed to speak with a Sony person today (will spare that convoluted story). The first person I spoke with was again pointing fingers at the internet, saying I needed to clear the app cache, reinstall the app and so forth. Person that called me back verified the apps were frozen then told me Sony was aware of the problem and their engineers were working on a fix. Time of course will tell but this was the first time anyone from Sony had admitted there was a problem with the 950G.

@jdavis37 wrote:

told me Sony was aware of the problem and their engineers were working on a fix. Time of course will tell but this was the first time anyone from Sony had admitted there was a problem with the 950G.

That's great news that Sony finally admits there is a problem. At least it's a start, and hopfully the start of them resolving it. 

Yeah my 850g freezes sometimes. But neither Sony or YouTube TV/Google seems to care. Been going on for two months and there both aware of tg he issue. I just think they tell you that they know about the issue but do nothing to fix it. I've heard the "our engineers are working on it" story from both Sony and Google. That was two months ago.

That was the first time Sony had acknowledged the problem. Time will tell if this means anything or not. Good chance it won't. Until yesterday every call to Sony was met with blame the internet. Same questions every call. How far from router are you? You need to use a powerline device. Call your internet provider. And so forth. 

I spoke with the company we purchased the TV from and I am not going to get any more help from them or the distributor they purchased the TV from, though I may continue on that end. Assuming thery don't go out of business due to COVID 19 related issues. If I could work a return for a Samsung equivalent model (not asking for free.. any difference in price we would pay) I would do it. Obviously I do not know what issues a Samsung set may have. Our A8G and 900F are nopt having issues so this seems to be a 950G specific problem. I do suspect a software/firmware fix is possible but that doesn't mean it will happen.

This has not been a positive experience though. The TV was expensive and it has not delivered what Sony said it would deliver. I now refer to it as our 85 inch Not So Smart TV. Power restarts each morning takes care of the problem until the following morning. Others have said use a Roku stick which does work reliably. No issues with Roku. That is just another workaround. Sony needs to address the problem and actually fix it.

I do not thnk this is a Google problem given the app works fine on our other two Sony sets. Seems more like a 950G firmware issue. That said this is just a hunch on my part without any substantiating information.

The 850g only has an issue with the YTTV app. So yes there is a connection between Google and Sony somewhere with my model. All other apps run fairly smooth.

With that said, the YTTV app works great on my 850g using other input platforms like my PS4 or Roku stick. It's a weird issue.

he 850g only has an issue with the YTTV app. So yes there is a connection between Google and Sony somewhere with my model. All other apps run fairly smooth.

With that said, the YTTV app works great on my 850g using other input platforms like my PS4 or Roku stick. It's a weird issue.

I wish I had NOT allowed the replacement 950G we received to update Android. It would have been interesting to see if the older Android version would have had the same problems or not (to question whether this is a Android PIE/Sony 950G issue).

Fixes always get more complex when fingerpointing begins (this is a Google issue versus Sony issue versus wifi issue versus internet provider issue). Sony's support has been good in the sense I have not had to be on hold for extended periods. Other than that their support has been lacking as they have fixated on blmaing my wifi or internet even when they can clearly see the internet is working fine. I was unable to get higher than their level 2 support.

Our other two Sony TVs, bought at same time as the 950G, are actually 2018 models (A8G OLED and X900F LCD). Their Android is up to date and no issues from either TV. This is why it appears to be a 950G firmware/OS issue to me. But as mentioned before it is the Google apps.. YTTV and youtube itself. Netflix has frozen before on our 950G but we watch Netflix a lot less than YTTV. Any time YTTV is frozen so is the youtube app. Thus the Google connection. But at same time our A8G and 900F work fine with the google apps.

And as you said above when YTTV is frozen on the SonyX950G, it will work fine with a Roku stick!

Update...

My instincts said this problem were acting like an energy savings mess up, as if the network card of the TV were being put to sleep during the night. Just instincts.. I did troubleshooting for a lot of radiation detection instrumentation for 35+ years so some of that carries over, right or wrong. I certainly have no background in what Sony or any other TV is doing.

I looked under the Apps menu in the TV';s settings. There at the bottom is a menu selection called" Special App Access". Select that and you see a long list. The top item os "Energy Optimization"

Opening that you get a list of every app on or in the TV. It appears they are defaulted to "on" for every app. I turned off most every android app I could see as well as the youtube apps. First 3 dsays the TV worked perfectly.. then I had 1 more freeze. I went back inside this menu and turned off seveal more apps.

Will see in the morning. I don't think doing this will fix the problem but it does seem to support mu hunch that Sony's settings were taking energy conservation to the point it was killing the internet. I may be 1000% wrong on thjis but felt it was worth mentioning in case others want to try doing the same.

I remain disgusted with this experience. Sony was of zero help and even the place I bought the TV from stopped working with us to get the TV changed out. I'll continue to monitor what is going on and keeping fingers crossed!