Add Product

Search Results:

Should I buy LG Cinema 3D? or Samsung 3D TV?

Hi everyone

I was thinking of buying a LG Cinema 3D TV because it's supposed to be the most recommended 3D TV right now.

But I see that Samsung has reduced their 3D TV prices and can't decide which one of those two to buy.

Is LG Cinema 3D so much better than the Samsung one that it's worth the money?

or should I buy a Samsung 3D TV if there's not much difference?

Trusted Member

I think LG Cinema 3D makes a better investment

If you’re going to invest in a 3D TV, you might as well buy LG Cinema 3D although Samsung has reduced their prices.

Samsung’s 3D TVs are active 3D TVs and LG Cinema 3D TVs are passive 3D TVs. Basically, passive TV has more frames and the frames move faster, creating clear, flicker free and crosstalk free images. On the other hand, active 3D TVs have shutter technology. With shutter technology, not only are there fewer image frames that move slowly, but also they insert black screen after each image frame. Each of your eyes take turn to see the image frame i.e when your right eye sees an image, your left eye sees the black screen and vice versa. This is the reason behind the flicker and crosstalk problems people are complaining about with Samsung, or actually any active 3D tv. Even when you are not getting flickering images and crosstalks, active 3D TVs produce images with dimmer colors. Colors are much more vibrant and clear on passive 3D TVs.

Also with LG Cinema 3D TV, you get those movie theater-like 3D glasses. They are battery free 3D glasses that are really affordable.

Contributor

Re: I think LG Cinema 3D makes a better investment

Both myself and Jenna have argued this extensively in another thread.  We are both biased towards what we prefer, and the best way to decide for yourself is not to read ramblings arguments on the internet; but instead head to a local store and try both out for yourself and determine which tehcnology you like better.  Read the posts in the link that follows and use what information you glean from it to help with you decision when you decide to compare.

http://forums.bestbuy.com/t5/TV-Home-Theater/active-vs-passive-gaming/td-p/291846

If you like posts that I make, be sure to click on the star underneath my name. Thanks!

Re: Should I buy LG Cinema 3D? or Samsung 3D TV?

Be careful with your decision. Depending on the models, you could debating between "passive" and "active" 3D technology, and not so much the brands. LG highly uses passive 3D on their newer models. That technology is cheaper, and what most people are used to from their movie-going experiences. It creates a three-dimensional image by using polarized lenses, that show a left image to the left eye, and the right image to the right eye, while blokcing out the right from the left, and the left from the right. This is the same technology that cinemas use worldwide. 

On the other hand, there exists "active" 3D. Used on all Samsung 3D TV's, the technology is quite a bit more expensive. The glasses are powered, and create three-dimensions via a bluetooth signal from an emitter in your TV. The signal sends alternating frames to both eyes, in a sequence that tricks your mind into blending the two sets of frames together, thereby creating the pereception of three-dimensional shapes. 

Now, in my experience, neither technology or brand seems to give a FULL range. By this, I mean that they focus on two very different aspects of a 3D image. Passive gives you a typical 3D image, with quite a lot of that pop-out flare. Contrastingly, active technology appears to give most people a better sense of depth in the foreground, thus making the movie increasingly life-like.

I would advise looking at them both, on the same demo if possible. If price isn't much of an issue for you, then perhaps active 3D will be more attractive. If a more conventional (and far cheaper) approach is what you feel sound with, than passive 3D is the way to go. But be warned: DO NOT BY A 3D TV SIMPLY BECAUSE OF ITS 3D PICTURE. Most of what you're paying for in a TV set is decorrelated with the 3D features it possesses. Therefore, it is important for the monitor that you buy to have other valuable features, like a stunnning 2D image. Remember, a lot of what you watch will be in 2D still. 3D is, at this time, a very limited (but growing) market.

@meefermj wrote:

Hi everyone

I was thinking of buying a LG Cinema 3D TV because it's supposed to be the most recommended 3D TV right now.

But I see that Samsung has reduced their 3D TV prices and can't decide which one of those two to buy.

Is LG Cinema 3D so much better than the Samsung one that it's worth the money?

or should I buy a Samsung 3D TV if there's not much difference?

"Although I work for Best Buy, Magnolia Home Theater, the opinions in this thread are of my own and in no way the product of an outside influence on the part of my employer."

"Although I work for Best Buy, Magnolia Home Theater, the opinions in this thread are of my own and in no way the product of an outside influence on the part of my employer."

LG Cinema 3D

It sort of gets to me that people's decisions are affected by price. Just because something is more expensive doesn't mean that it's better.

I will admit that Samsung active shutter 3D TVs have amazing quality, but believe me, it's not worth the risk of headaches... so annoying when you simply want to enjoy some 3D. You may buy it thinking it's unlikely the dizziness will affect you but really, its the same for everyone.

I prefer LG's passive 3D technology. the 3D viewing is great, with lightweight battery free glasses (not having to charge them after every viewing is the best!) and it is flicker free.

even if Cinema 3D was more expensive than Samsung's, I think i'd go for the former. no headaches, assured satisfied 3D viewing, free easily-replaceable glasses... 

hope this helps! clearly, I'm a big supporter of passive but you should make your own decision and go by that

Topics: 40
Kudos: 183
Solutions: 134

Re: LG Cinema 3D

Not everyone suffers from headaches or dizziness when watching Active 3D TV's. I have a active 3D TV and have not once experienced any kind of headache, dizziness or eye strain from watching it. Every person is different and while it may affect you it doesnt affect everyone.

I have the Samsung UN46D6900 (3D Smart LED).   I believe the 3D on the LG is much better.    I have also had nothing but problems with the Samsungs (I am on my 3rd tv of the same model in 3 weeks; the first 2 were defective) and I will probably take it back to Best Buy.      I will NOT be buying anything else from them - they have no concern for customer satisfaction whatsoever.   I will probably switch to an LG from Sears.   

I do not recommend Samsung.    The 2D picture IS awesome, no question;  but if the quality is not there,  it is too risky to spend that much money and have the tv fail as soon as it is out of warranty.....

imo.

Contributor

Sounds to me like another reason to buy a plasma!  Smiley Happy

If you like posts that I make, be sure to click on the star underneath my name. Thanks!

Personally, I like LG Cinema 3D better than Samsung 3D TV. I own a LG Cinema 3D (LW6500) and I’m very satisfied with it. It’s flicker free and I like that I don’t have to charge the glasses every now and then. The 3D looks awesome and the 2D pictures also look great. When I watch 2D images in 3D mode, the quality is very good as if the content was originally made for 3D. Now my brother in law has a Samsung 3D TV and he likes it but complains about the flickers. His TV uses active 3D glasses, which are expensive and have to be battery replaced after a while. He says when he lies down on his sofa, the glasses black out so he has to stay sitting the whole time. This can be quite annoying for people who like to watch TV while lying down. Some people say that LG has only half resolution of Samsung, but LG recently updated their 3D system to show 1080i to each eye. It’s all personal choice in the end but if LG passive 3D TV has pros of both passive and active 3D TV, I think it’s better choice.   

I agree with herbert198218. I was debating between a LG 3D TV and a Samsung 3D TV myself and I bought a LG Cinema 3D TV (LW6500 model) a couple months ago and it's great.

Before I bought this TV, I was told that it had lower resolution than Samsung 3D TV but when I tested them at a local store, I didn't notice any difference and nor did my friends who went with me.

I decided to go with LG Cinema 3D because 1) it was more affordable than Samsung 3D TV 2) it had better & cheaper 3D glasses and 3) the sales person told me that it was certified flicker free.

I got LG LW6500 and I've been much satisfied with it so far. I get no flicker at all and the picture looks amazing. The 2D quality is great and the 3D quality is also superb even when I use 2D to 3D conversion. I'm still trying to figure out how to download/install LG's new 3D update but even without it, it's pretty amazing.