Add Product

Search Results:

Re: No sound from PS3 with new Yamaha Surround Sound-BB giving wrong advice!

I had a similar problem with my yamaha system except i purchased the 590 model.  After not asking for help (which sounds like if i was at the store you were it wouldnt have made a difference) I also hooked my tv and ps3 using an hdmi, you guessed it no sound!  After reading the manual I found out that in those systems that companys put together they offer lower quality receivers with them.  The yamaha receivers do not pass sound through the HDMI input, just picture.  I used the optical cable through the DVD input to get my Dolby Digital surround sound, and continued to use the HDMI input so that I could get the HD picture I paid for.  oh, and on a side note when I used a Philips HDMI cable from Walmrt with my PS3 it did not work. after exchanging that once I finally returned it to them.  I went into my local BB and told them it must be my PS3... they tested it on one of their tvs with a rocketfish HDMI, it worked and looked amazing.  After a little more research (reading the back of a monster cable HDMI package) i found out the reason the Philips HDMI is only $20 is because it cannot handle the bandwidth that Blu-ray, PS3, and real (not upconverted) HD is transfered at. I learned to shop at a real electronics store that day, not a grocery/clothing/ and pretty much whatever you can get from chinese child labor store to save a buck for junk cables.
Trusted Contributor

Re: No sound from PS3 with new Yamaha Surround Sound-BB giving wrong advice!

@jconderman wrote:
I had a similar problem with my yamaha system except i purchased the 590 model.  After not asking for help (which sounds like if i was at the store you were it wouldnt have made a difference) I also hooked my tv and ps3 using an hdmi, you guessed it no sound!  After reading the manual I found out that in those systems that companys put together they offer lower quality receivers with them.  The yamaha receivers do not pass sound through the HDMI input, just picture.  I used the optical cable through the DVD input to get my Dolby Digital surround sound, and continued to use the HDMI input so that I could get the HD picture I paid for.  oh, and on a side note when I used a Philips HDMI cable from Walmrt with my PS3 it did not work. after exchanging that once I finally returned it to them.  I went into my local BB and told them it must be my PS3... they tested it on one of their tvs with a rocketfish HDMI, it worked and looked amazing.  After a little more research (reading the back of a monster cable HDMI package) i found out the reason the Philips HDMI is only $20 is because it cannot handle the bandwidth that Blu-ray, PS3, and real (not upconverted) HD is transfered at. I learned to shop at a real electronics store that day, not a grocery/clothing/ and pretty much whatever you can get from chinese child labor store to save a buck for junk cables.

You believed what you read on the back of a Monster Cable package?  They have to have SOME way of justifying their exorbitant and excessive prices.

If it passes the requirements for HDMI certification, it will work.  Yes, Monster cables may have some nifty features that make them pass high-frequency signals better, but anything beyond HDMI requirements is going to get you no benefit. (FYI, as background, I'm an electrical engineer and part of my job involves reviewing and devoping cabling specifications and requirements.)

In fact, that Philips $20 HDMI cable itself is overpriced.  See CNN Money at http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2007/moneymag/0708/gallery.value_live.moneymag/3.html

------------------
*disclaimer* I am not now, nor have I ever been, an employee of Best Buy, Geek Squad, nor of any of their affiliate, parent, or subsidiary companies.