Add Product

Search Results:

New TV - Suggestions?

Hi All,

I'm planning to buy a new SMART TV either Samsung or Sony, but little confused  which one to go.. Can anyone please suggest me base on your experience?

Thanks

Syed

Trusted Contributor

Re: New TV - Suggestions?

What is the source of your confusion?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Disclosure: Former BBY employee.
Trusted Contributor

I will always say this about Samsung. They make great TVs, IF you get a good one. They are extremely hit or miss on Quality Control and if you happen to get a defective product you will be most likely be fighting tooth and nail to get them to honor their warranty.

This years TVs main defect is faulty glass. Many are internally cracking due to sub par glass being used. When you get a Samsung rep to come look at it a majority of the people report that they say it was damaged due to physical abuse and therefore not covered. So you're left with an expensive paperweight.

There are 6 class action lawsuits pending against Samsung's TV division. On top of those 2 have been judged upon in favor of the consumer.

As for Sony, they recently in the past 5ish years have focused themselves on customer Service. There were defects like Samsung in many of their TVs that didn't come to light until much later. Sony denied them for a while. The upset consumers made a Facebook page and started posting all their problems to warn other constomers. Sony pulled a complete 180 and took this on head first. The page was quickly made an avenue for Sony CS to contact upset consumers. At its height I believe they employed 6-7 full time people dedicated to this Facebook page. Many stories of people having 5+ year old TVs upgraded to brand new TVs for free.

Following this good CS story, their products are priced higher than an equally good counterpart. They dominate high end LEDs along with sharp, but their mid teir products are just not the greatest bang for the buck. This is probably due to them having to offset their Customer Service.

Amazing how 2 companies going faced with similar problems go in direct opposite ways.

As for Panasonic, they DID produce defective TVs last year. I got 2 of them. They suffered from Fluctuating Brightness. Each TV varied on how bad it was. I got a decent one and a VERY bad one. Panasonic stood behind their products and 3 months after release (yes it took a while) they addressed the issue properly. It took them some time to properly calibrate coding which reduced their defective products. I was actually an initial beta tester of this firmware and had a Panasonic rep drive over 200 miles (divisional higher up) to install the firmware on my TV. It was proprietary so they needed people with an NDA to install it. It fixed the problem nearly completely. They were concerned with sending out proprietary source coding to techs, so Instead of them sending out techs they agreed that anyone that had this problem would receive a free A-board replacement with the new firmware (this houses the firmware chip).

Just trying to show the Customer Service behind these major brands.

for me . Sony ... check in best buy Store what BIG TV /smart , Refurbish? 50" above. or costomer return, some most Samsung. check Sony one?? or nothing.. Samsung on the top seller but Sony is 2nd place, if you check in Costco store NO Sony Smart TV. some Samsung,Sharp, ect... costco didn't get the deal the on Sony. means the price lower. all my tv Sony , year 2002 I got sony tv still working. I put in my Garage. I got 5 sony Tv ,living room 2 tv, 42" for my wife karaoke, one in wall 60"smartTv, fathers room 50"sony, Kid room 40"sony for Black Ops , GAMES SECTION. GO ! Sony smart Tv
Valued Member

What exactly are you trying to say here?

Since you didn't mention a budget. I would go with a Ultra HD TV all the way. For smart TVs, i would recommend LG. But this year all the Ultra HD TVs are insanely nice, especially the Sony one.

http://thenanobyte.com/2013/02/2013-the-year-of-4k-tv/ You can read up more on 4K here.

TV researcher in Seoul, South Korea. I love all TVs.

Topics: 40
Kudos: 183
Solutions: 134

You are out of your mind to recommend a TV that has very limited use right now since very few items have the 4K content and the fact that those TV's are not mass produced and upwards of 40,000 dollars! I dont care if they did not mention a budget or not common sense says that even at 15,000 that TV would be out of 99.9% of the peoples price range.

In a year or two maybe but no way to recommend them to people now specially considering they are so far out of most peoples price range!

Actually only the Samsung is around that 40k mark you mentioned, 38 to be exact. There are loads of offers that put the LG one at around 15-16k and the Sony around 20k. You do have a point though. And since this is a forum where multiple recommendations and opinions are submitted, I was only expanding his options. He did not specify a budget and you assume that the TV is already out of his.  And the 15,000 TV price being out of 99.9% of people's range is plain stupid. Expensive yes.

My only intention was to expand his options.

TV researcher in Seoul, South Korea. I love all TVs.

Go to avsforum.com and read up on tv's.Works for me.

E601i-A3,Samsung PN51D6500,Insignia NS39L240A13,Samsung BRD6500,Sony CT100.
Frequent Contributor

@syedfasi wrote:

Hi All,

I'm planning to buy a new SMART TV either Samsung or Sony, but little confused  which one to go.. Can anyone please suggest me base on your experience?

Thanks

Syed

Wait a few months for the new Panasonic plasmas to come out, or see if there are any of last years models available at clearance discounts. There have been some ridiculous deals on VT50's over at AVSforum that people have been getting.