Add Product

Search Results:

Accepted Solution

LG OLED C1 - ABLL real issue?

Anyone who has this TV hate the ABLL?  Drive ssome people crazy, some dont care, some barely notice it, some notice it a lot.  Im considering the C1 but Im the kind of person that, once thye notice something, I cant not see it ;^)

Valued Expert

Re: LG OLED C1 - ABLL real issue?

I have an LG Oled and I just turn that off.  Did that on day one.

Drives me nuts.  If it wasn't so extreme it may not be that big of a deal.

I did the same thing for my previous TV as well

I am not an employee of Best Buy and all opinions left on this forum are my own. Please leave Kudo’s if you like a post or click Accept as Solution if a post answers your query.

Thanks for the reply.  In more reasearch, I found out there is a diferrence between ABLL (dimming based on ambient lighting) that can be disabled easily.  I think Im talking baout ABSL, the forced adjustment between sudden changed in black to whites, that seems to alos drive people nuts.  I’m looking to see if anyone has disbaled the dimming or brightening of the screen based on displayed picture (ASBL).  It seems to do so you need a service remote that can disable TPC Enable and GSR Enable in IN_START menu.  With some rumors that it can afffect warranty and shorten lifespan of TV. Got complicated fast.  MAkes me not want to even mess with it is its that prevalent and annoying for the average user (not a gamer, just SDR, HDR and sports).

Valued Expert

I really don't notice the ABSL.  The picture on my OLED is simply amazing.

The whites may not be a pure white but the blacks are super black.

Towards the end of my plasma the not so black blacks drove me crazy.

I am not an employee of Best Buy and all opinions left on this forum are my own. Please leave Kudo’s if you like a post or click Accept as Solution if a post answers your query.

Thanks for the reply.  Im defintiely not interested in buying a service remote to make adjustments.  Guess I need to just go buy it and see.  Currently have the Sony X90J 75" and love it - except for the viewing angle.  At least I finally have it down to two, taken me a while to try them all out.

Valued Expert

I was split between the 90J and the LG CX

Finally decided on the CX.

When you say viewing angle to you mean that it tilts back a little bit so is not perfectly vertical?

The LG does that as well.  I bugged me a lot for the first month

I was initially interested in the Sony because every Sony TV I have had was amazing, for it day.

The 90J sports the built in center speaker which I was also interested in.   

However, my existing TV stand is 54" wide and the minimum base for the Sony is wider than that.  

I did go with the LG CX. But I had to build a 6 inch riser so my existing center speaker would not block the TV.

One of my finer points on going with the LG was the WebOS language it uses rather than the android that Sony uses. 

A friend of mine has an LG OLED so I went over there an played with the interface for awhile. I found it to be a little faster and more responsive than the Android version. Plus  I liked the menu layout for the streaming apps I use all the time.

I am sure the Sony does it as well. But I am also very impressed how it automatically detects new devices, downloads drivers for them and labels their channel. 

When I hooked up my PS5 for the first time. It automatically configured everything (not that there was much). Synced my controller so it could be used as a remote for the TV (does the same with Xbox)

[ Edited ]

Im talking about how the image grays out on the X90Jif you site past dead center looking at it. Its just a dead center seating TV only.   Anyone a couple feet left or right of center, the image begins to wash out pretty quick.  The OLED would solve this for us - same clarity from any angle.

{removed per forum guidelines}

Valued Expert

Now I had to go look.  I typically am dead center on my TV.  At 45° other than being flattened out from a smaller foot print from the side I didn't notice anything.  At about 75° it still looked pretty good.

Here are some examples at different angles.  The colors didn't translate to the phone very well.  The image on the right is at about  76° AngleExamples.png

Yea, on the LEDs it washes out quick just a few feet over.  The QLEDs and OLEDs eliminate that entirely.

[ Edited ]

So I got the LG C1.  Dont really notice the ABLS as much.  Livable.  Only issue is that for my room setup (which cant really be changed) and my middle aged eyes, the TV detail looks amazing at about 5 feet away.  We sit at 9, and right about 5.5 - 6 ft out the detail of 4k on that tv starts to lessen.  Just like in thta RTINGS chart:

{removed per forum guidelines}

Backing up to about 9 feet the TV detail is comprable to the Sony X90J 75" (minus the viewing angle). 

Love the OLED blacks and viewing abgle!

And I just cant afford that 77" C1.  Probably need to stick with Sony.