Add Product

Search Results:

Accepted Solution

Insignia controversy, is it over?

After buying a new Insignia smart TV a couple of weeks ago I am now finding all sorts of bad reports on them as I search the net for answers about this type of TV. So what is the current status? I'm sure you can get faulty equipment in any brand yet so far the tv I have has been a wonderful device as my first hd tv. One review claimed that Insignia could become one of the best bargains ever. That review was ove a year old. Has that time come?

I'm also reading that I can only expect 5 years use out of a modern tv before it self destructs. Is that true? I have a CRT that is 30 tears old and working fine.

So far so good. What is your experience so far with a new Insignia?
Valued Contributor

Re: Insignia controversy, is it over?

Do a Google search for ROHS, and educate yourself why modern TVs won't last 5 years. 

Also, be aware that when you buy bottom tier products, you are getting bottome tier hardware.  You would be better served spending more money and getting a name brand, such as LG or Samsung. The cheap units like Insignia use parts that did not meet the full specs of whatever manufacturer made them...it's a way of selling unit sthat might otherwise have to be discarded.

If you find my post useful or informative, please click the icon below with the plus sign and star to give kudos. Thank you!
Topics: 40
Kudos: 183
Solutions: 134

And to add on to what NoNoBadDog has already mentioned. Some may argue but they are basically using Samsung or LG panels. That comment is true the PANELS are usually either samsung or LG. But a TV is made up of more then just the panel itself. The rest of the hardware inside is where 99% of most failure happen and cheaper brands use cheaper parts then what the likes of Samsung, LG, Panasonic who use quality panels driven by quality electronic components.

The panels of modern TV's have a theoretical life of that of CRT's however due to recent changes in the manufacturing the components inside die well before the panel itself.

Ok so what your telling me is I have bought into a gamble. To get anything close to this tv I would have to spend double. That is why I went with it. So far so good. I will not mind paying for new one in five years. I get a new computer every five years and this tv is more like a computer than a tv.

I am hoping there is a possibility that insignia has taken a turn for the better after so many returns. That just cannot be profitable in the long run.

On the surface this is one fine piece of electronic miracle and keep in mind this unit is so new it cannot be judged by the past, that is what I'm hoping for in my gamble, Insig has come of age. When I bought it they had not even put it in display yet, and did not know they had it in stock. Now thats what I call new.
Topics: 292
Kudos: 171
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 81

As I often do with this bunch, I completely disagree. (sorry guys!) Smiley Happy If you check Insignia parts, one by one, you'll eventually discover who originally made them. High end brand names are always at the forefront of this list, with a great reliability record. Since Insignias come with a standard 2 year manufactuer warrenty (most, if not all models), that puts a lots of guesswork out of the quality for most people.

if you do have a problem, you can contact Best Buy to have most parts sent out to you during the two year warrenty, for free. (assuming it's a defect). You can call it after the warrenty as well.

With any line of TV's, there are occasional.. glitches, but I wouldn't say any more then any other manufacturer. In fact, from my personal experiance, it's even less.

The parts department's number for Insignia parts and other parts is 866-933-5552. There, you have it - just in case you have a problem. I hope you never have to use it, of course!

s.gifI am a Bestbuy employee who volunteers on these boards on my own time. I am not paid for posting here, and you should understand that my opinions are exactly that - opinions. I do not represent Bestbuy in any way.
: Open Mailbox
Trusted Contributor

@RedWyv3 wrote:

As I often do with this bunch, I completely disagree. (sorry guys!) Smiley Happy If you check Insignia parts, one by one, you'll eventually discover who originally made them. High end brand names are always at the forefront of this list, with a great reliability record. Since Insignias come with a standard 2 year manufactuer warrenty (most, if not all models), that puts a lots of guesswork out of the quality for most people.

if you do have a problem, you can contact Best Buy to have most parts sent out to you during the two year warrenty, for free. (assuming it's a defect). You can call it after the warrenty as well.

With any line of TV's, there are occasional.. glitches, but I wouldn't say any more then any other manufacturer. In fact, from my personal experiance, it's even less.

The parts department's number for Insignia parts and other parts is 866-933-5552. There, you have it - just in case you have a problem. I hope you never have to use it, of course!

That leaves out the issue of assembly - same components but with poorer solder jobs results in less durability.

So two TVs can come out of the same Chinese factory and have the exact same design, but one brand might be less reliable than another because the contract with the factory stated fewer quality control measures.

But in general, product durability is down across the board thanks to RoHS.  The best things you can do for a TV's life are:

1)  A good surge protector

2)  Good ventilation - heat leads to thermal expansion stress, which leads to broken solder joints

It used to be the most common failure point for a TV was the CCFL backlight.  Nowadays it seems like it's usually the power supply - the point in the TV with the highest thermal stress and the most abuse coming from the outside power lines.

------------------
*disclaimer* I am not now, nor have I ever been, an employee of Best Buy, Geek Squad, nor of any of their affiliate, parent, or subsidiary companies.

Well we all can agree on one thing: the gush of the latest innovations and products in electronics has given hours of conversation and debate to pros and enthusiasts. For me, it is all fantastically good and affordable to get into products working technical miracles. My Insig is as fun to play with as it is to watch.

I hope you can help me. I bought an Insignia 32 inch in August, and have been having serious audio lag issues since day 1. I have seen other posts concerning this. As an old guy, I am not e-savvy. Even this email is a challenge! Audio lag from all sources; cable, new vcr/dvd player, new blueray player. What can I do? Thanks for your help.
Valued Contributor

If you want a response, start a new thread.  Hijacking an old thread will not get you any responses.

If you find my post useful or informative, please click the icon below with the plus sign and star to give kudos. Thank you!
Recognized Member

Placing aside the the opinion, hearsay and inaccurate information posted in this thread.... Let's look at the facts! Insignia offers a 2 year factory warranty on their product. That is double industry standard for 99% of any other TV manufacturer. The claim that Insignia uses 'sub-standard parts' or lesser quality manufacturing processes is completely false. To further prove this, as suggested in this thread, you can follow the parts to their source company. The display panel (LCD) manufacturer sticker is often found in the upper left quadrant of the panel (facing from front) and can often be seen through the upper most vents on the back of the TV. You will likely find and LG or Samsung panel. In fact, if you look closely you may find an exact match for your TV (except for the Insignia logo) in the store with an LG or Samsung logo on it !!! 

Considering the FACTS listed above, feel confident that you have not only made a wise choice financially but you got double the warranty as well. A choice I would have likely made being in the consumer electronics repair business for over 26 years. Any LCD panel is currently given an expected life of 10 years or 100,000 hours. As in anything on this planet, you can expect a certain amount of degradation over time. I hope this answers your question. Happy to answer any others!

-Agent M

Check us out- 100 of the top TV, Home Theater & Appliance techs in the country---

www.facebook.com/geeksquadrecon

www.twitter.com/geeksquadrecon