Add Product

Search Results:

HDMI1 as last input does not work reliably

I recently bought an Insignia NS-32F202NA22.  I bought it because we do occasionally want to use the built-in streaming services on it.  However, our *primary* viewing use is DirectTV with a DTV Genie Mini connected to HDMI1.  I want the TV to start on HDMI1 every time.

So I went into settings -> Display & Sounds -> Power Controls -> Power On and changed the setting to 'Last Input'.  It worked great the first time I tried turning off and (immediately) back on, thought I had the problem solved.

Here's the real problem. So what happens is that I watch news in the morning and then turn off the TV and the DTV receiver via the DirecTV remote.  When I get home and turn on the TV and receiver some 10-12 hours later, I am presented with the 'Home' screen again while the settings still say 'Last Input'.  This is very annoying.

What I've had to do is use the voice command on the fire remote to say "switch to HDMI1' before I can watch TV (or just change to HDMI1 manually in the home menu), and then I have to use the other remote to scroll the DirecTV channel guide and select channels.  We've had Samsung, LG, and Vizio TVs up to now all of which start on HDMI without me asking it to.  What's going on here?

Valued Expert

Re: HDMI1 as last input does not work reliably

Just reaching here.

The TV may be remembering the last input.  If you turn off the DTV first it may be remembering that now the streaming is  the last input.

Try turning off the TV first.

and when you turn it on so the DTV first.

It could be a problem with the DTV mini not sending a signal to the TV that indicates it is source

I am not an employee of Best Buy and all opinions left on this forum are my own. Please leave Kudo’s if you like a post or click Accept as Solution if a post answers your query.

Thanks for the reply. The weird part is that if I turn the equipment off and then back on in a relatively short time, like 10-15 minutes with either remote it works fine and starts on HDMI 1. It's only after it sits off for hours that it goes back to default to home. And that's no matter the order in which I turn off the equipment.
Valued Expert

Does the TV maintain all your other settings?

If this was a computer I would suggest the battery on your motherboard is loose or out of power.

However, I do not think the motherboards on TV's have a battery.

Is there  different device you can plug into HDMI 1 such as a game consol or DVD player 

My thought is to plug one of those in, and use it for a little while and then check it again in the morning to see if it replicates.

Does you TV have HDMI Arc?  Are you using the HDMI Arc if you do?

I am not an employee of Best Buy and all opinions left on this forum are my own. Please leave Kudo’s if you like a post or click Accept as Solution if a post answers your query.

Does the TV maintain all your other settings?

Yes, and in fact, it never loses the 'Last Input' setting.  What's happening is that the TV, after some amount of time, either forgets that HDMI1 was the last input or it has done something else in the background while connected to the wireless network to convince itselft to change it's last input memory to Home.  But all the settings, the way I have set them, have been retained.  

> Is there  different device you can plug into HDMI 1 such as a game consol or DVD player?

Well, yeah, but this TV is mounted on a wall in our dining room with a corner cabinet underneath, so it's more trouble than it's worth to figure it out with another device where I'd have to undo some organized wiring. One thing I do have is a ChromeCast device I can rather easily add to another HDMI port, like HDMI2, and see what happens with that.

> Does you TV have HDMI Arc?  Are you using the HDMI Arc if you do?

I had to look this but and after briefly reading about it I'm gonna say no.  I just have the TV mounted to the wall with a DirecTV receiver and connected to our home wireless network, that's it.  No other devices or sound systems connected.

Honestly, this is just a secondary location - I'm really considering just dumping this TV on a marketplace and looking at brands I've had in the past. So far this "feature" is the most annoying one I've ever experienced with a TV.  Why in the #$!! can't I just set my Power On settings directly to HDMI1????

I'm going to update this thread one more time for those who may find it helpful.  In short, I'm selling this Fire tablet device and replacing it with a real television. 

I have learned a lesson in paying attention to very subtle wording.  Calling a "tv" a Fire TV does not make it a television in the conventional way most people think of what a TV really is.  What you really have here is a wall mounted tablet, a Fire Tablet (FT).  Just like a handheld device, when you turn it on it'll just sit there and act all dumb until you tell it to do the thing you really want it to do.  Even if you tell it to do something else in the settings it'll wait until you confirm what you *really* what to do - like say, "switch to HDMI1".

Now some may say I'm over-reacting. Like ALL my other TVs, I just want to hit a button on my DirecTV remote to turn on the FT and the receiver and watch the d@mn news.  On occasion I'd like to watch Netflix or Prime but rarely at this location.  The way it is now I have to turn on both devices with the DirecTV remote, switch to the fire remote and say "switch to HDMI1" and then back to the DTV remote to scroll and select channels from the guide. Doesn't that sound a little ridiculous?   I can't imagine my mom or dad having to figure this out. 

I'm out.  Good luck, and good night.

Topics: 1,703
Kudos: 859
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 339

On the Roku TV I have in the Bedroom, it always displays the home screen. I guess this is a feature of those televisions that are smart. 

***Please keep in mind that I am not employed by Best Buy and are just a regular forums Super User and an everyday shopper like you. If you find my posting helpful, please add kudos to it. Remember to mark answered questions as solved if something helped you to speed up the answer queue for other customers***