Add Product

Search Results:

HDMI cable ????

What's the best to get ??

Re: HDMI cable ????

Any Audioquest or Monster cable is fine. For short runs, most cables, even cheap ones will work, but a quality cable will offer better connectors, and will be less lucky to fail from stress when pulled through the wall for example. Personally, I feel anything over a $50.00 cable is overkill unless you are running over say 8 feet.

As with speaker wire, there is a lot of snake oil sales hype intended to get you to spend big bucks for little or no gain.

I am currently employed at Best Buy. All posts in these forums are of my own volition and in no way reflect the views of my employer.
Valued Contributor

Absolute hogwash!!!  There is absolutely *NO REASON* to spend huge amounts of money for a single HDMI cable on consumer equipment. 

For get the hogwash about "better connectors".  Most people connect the cable and then don't touch it for years, or for as long as they own their equipment.  

Pulling cable through the wall is not affected by build quality.  Trust me, I have pulled plenty.  The cheapest cable around survives just as well as the expensive stuff.

HDMI delivers a purely digital signal.  Either the signal [path exists, or it does not.  No amount of shielding, crosstalk shielding, twisting, or any of the other bullsh*t that the expensive cables claims makes a bit of difference. 

Buy the cheapest cables in the version of HDMI you want; and try to keep it as short as possible for your needs.  Use the money you save to buy movies, or treat yourself to a good meal; don't waste it on those expensive cables whose only true design philosophy is to remove as much money from your bank account as possible. 

If you find my post useful or informative, please click the icon below with the plus sign and star to give kudos. Thank you!
Valued Member

I am new to the market but my friend is a TV tech and said the same as the last poster. Most people will not and cannot tell the difference between a 10 dollar cable and a 50 dollar cable.

I bought the Dynex 6 foot cables and the picture is great with my plasma TV. I got them on sale too Smiley Happy

Click here for the Dynex cables

Thanks guys
Frequent Contributor

I get cheap HDMI cables from a competing store. 3 6ft cables for $10.00. No failures yet.

Trusted Contributor

I semi agree with nono, but there is ONE major difference in really cheap cables; Sometimes cheap cables aren't 1.4a or higher compliant. This only matters when watching 3d tv. The main change in 1.4a is that it is checked to guaruntee proper transfer of 2 1080p signals (left and right eye).

Basically pre 1.4 it's a crapshoot (usually it is favorable that it can send the signal properly), but post 1.4 they structured it to make sure it will work.
Valued Contributor

Did you notice in my comment that I addressed this issue?  I suggested that he uy the cheapest cable that is compliant with the version of HDMI supported by his TV.  There are cheap cables that support 1.4a or higher.  The benefit is that if you need ot upgrade to a new version of HDMI, you haven't wasted tons of money on your old cables which now do not support the newer versions. 

If you find my post useful or informative, please click the icon below with the plus sign and star to give kudos. Thank you!
Trusted Contributor

Sorry, you said the cheapest that you want. Was just trying to clarify since most people don't know that there are even revisions to HDMI cables, let alone what each does.

Trust me I'm all for the cheap cables. Just trying to make sure he gets what he needs

Cheap cables are one thing, but make sure they are rated CL2 if they are going to be in-wall. (Fire code for fumes and fire propagation)

I am currently employed at Best Buy. All posts in these forums are of my own volition and in no way reflect the views of my employer.