Add Product

Search Results:

Dynex 42" LCD TV turns on to black screen and doesn't do anything else

Our Dynex TV stopped working yesterday. I can turn it on using the remote (universal) or the power button on the tv, but after than no remote or tv buttons work. The only way to turn it off is to unplug it. When it turns on it shows the typical "Please Wait..." screen, then flashes that it is on channel 118.105. After that it is just a black screen. A couple times it then got a box over the right side of the black screen that had diagonal white lines. The tv is less than 3 years old. Is there any fix that won't break the bank?

Topics: 292
Kudos: 171
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 81

Re: Dynex 42" LCD TV turns on to black screen and doesn't do anything else

It is unlikely that repairs to this unit for that type of error will cost less then a new TV at modern pricing. Yes, I know it's strange to consider a TV that is less the three years old to be 'ancient', but I speak more about the dramatic drop in pricing rather then the technology.

I could recommend you bring it to a TV repair shop to have it examined, but honestly, I would simply replace the television.

As of this posting, this one is currently on sale and most closely matches what you currently own, for comparison purposes. 

Dynex™ - 46" Class / 1080p / 60Hz / LCD HDTV Model: DX-46L260A12 | SKU: 2009209

Best Buy Exclusive

4.2 of 54.2 of 5 (19 reviews)

s.gifI am a Bestbuy employee who volunteers on these boards on my own time. I am not paid for posting here, and you should understand that my opinions are exactly that - opinions. I do not represent Bestbuy in any way.
: Open Mailbox

Thanks for your quick reply and honesty. Is there any reason why this happens to a tv? As you can imagine, I am extremely disappointed in the performance of this TV and feel really cheated to have spent all that money on a product that can't even make its 3rd anniversary when I was hoping to have it 10 years. It's a clear reflection on companies making the move to sell poor quality products that they won't stand behind.

Topics: 292
Kudos: 171
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 81

i completely understand your frustration! Having spent so much money on the television, it must be horrible for it not to work now!

Unfortunately, I am not a television technician, so I do not know the exact error.

Dynex and Best Buy does indeed support this product, by providing a part list you can order from, as well as extended warranties you could of choosen to get at the time of purchase. Obviously, that does you no good now, and it's extremely saddening to hear your TV failed.

That Dynex model, if I am accurate, had a 1 year standard warranty.

You can find the available parts for this model here:

Dynex DX-L42-10A (Part Store)

s.gifI am a Bestbuy employee who volunteers on these boards on my own time. I am not paid for posting here, and you should understand that my opinions are exactly that - opinions. I do not represent Bestbuy in any way.
: Open Mailbox
Topics: 40
Kudos: 183
Solutions: 134

Honestly TV now adays are not designed to last 10 years. Todays TV's are more disposable and planned to last upwards of 5 or so years then disposed of. The actual screens will last 10 years but the rest of the hardware inside wont. With a quality brand you could get probably 5-8 years out of year with proper care and maintenance. But 10 years on a cheap house brand is unrealistic.

Good news for anyone else that encounters this problem...this weekend I took the time to unplug the cable and all cords from the TV, move the TV to another outlet and test it there. It started working again and once I reattached the cable I got all my channels back. Not sure what the difference is....if this somehow reset the TV...but it worked.