Add Product

Search Results:

Don't buy the Samsung UN46D6900!

I purchased this tv 3 weeks ago.  After one week it failed (a big red X on the screen whenever I turned it on; also, 3 of the HDMI ports were non-functional).   I took it back and got a replacement (same model).    Everything was fine for 2 weeks;  then I got two wide vertical lines on each side of the screen and the picture started flickering.... the following morning it went out entirely (no picture whatsoever).     I took it back and got the THIRD replacement (just because I didn't see anything else there that was even close to the same features).     So far this one works, but it has only been a few days so we will SEE.      I am highly doubtful of Samsung quality after this experience.    Plus - I tried to post a negative review on Samsung.com and got a message back that they would not post it, which explains why you don't see anything bad written about them there!   

Best Buy has lied to me about this tv, telling me I am the ONLY person that has returned this tv which I have discovered is not true.    They also refuse to compensate me in any way for my time, trouble, and hassle.   In fact - they have been downright rude.   

I don't know if LG or Sony is any better, but if this one goes back, which it probably will,  I am going to try an LG or Sony - from Sears.   This store's customer service is horrible.

Re: Don't buy the Samsung UN46D6900!

Can I ask what store?
Contributor

How does Samsungs TV failures make the store have terrible customer service?  Truth is, most TVs on the market these days are CRAP especially in comparrison to older TVs that could last for decades.  Gong Sony or LG will not relieve the problem.  As I posted on another thread, you should consider a plasma display, especially ones made by panasonic.  Check out CNET.com for feature comparrisons between models, and you'll find that the most value comes from the plasma displays in regards to superior picture quality and arguably better reliability.

If you like posts that I make, be sure to click on the star underneath my name. Thanks!
Valued Contributor

While Plasmas have somewhat arguably better pictures, when dealing with cable/broadcast TV the advantages don't get a chance to shine.  In addition, plasma TVs are subject to the same ROHS regulations and requirements, so they are not any better in the components they use.  They all suffer the same problems from being forced to adapt to ROHS.

Since Plasma produces significantly more heat than does LCD, and LED TVs produce less heat than LCDs, the latter would actually be a better choice when considering longevity.  With most sources, the difference in picture is small (yes, I know about the *TEST* figures that show better blacks, etc with plasma), but with broadcast it doesn't make much difference.

If you find my post useful or informative, please click the icon below with the plus sign and star to give kudos. Thank you!

Sure - it was the Best Buy in Moore, OK.

I didn't want to bore everyone with the dealings I had with the store over this issue. Suffice it to say their customer service was horrible. That would be another topic. I considered the plasma but I have to say in my eyes the plasma picture is nowhere near as good as the LED or even LCD. If this 3rd tv fails though - I may go to plasma, probably Panasonic.
Contributor

While I agree that the internals between a plasma and LED are almost identical, one must consider the longevity of LEDs in comparrison to the plasma phosphors that create the gas when heated.  The longevity of an LED diode is approx. 65k-75k hours dependent on use.  A plasma phosphor is rated to last between 90k-100k hours.  So the longevity argument is in fact the reverse of the claim that LEDs will last longer.

If you like posts that I make, be sure to click on the star underneath my name. Thanks!
Valued Contributor

While those figures may be the published ones, you only have to compare real world times.  The figures quoted are for the phosphores set to the minimum brightness and power, something that is never done in the real world.  Once the brightness is set to real world settings, the longevity drops dramatically.  This is why there are far more old LCD units still in use than plasma.

If you find my post useful or informative, please click the icon below with the plus sign and star to give kudos. Thank you!
Topics: 64
Kudos: 69
Solutions: 33

To the OP you can't look at a Plasma TV in the store and go by that picture.  The store models are set for Brightness so the pictures won't look realistic.  My $500 Samsung plasma blows away the picture on my $2500 LCD.  I am not using this to say I can throw money around but more so to show you that if set up the plasma can blow  LCD away.

Give Kudos if you like this post or Accept as Solution if it answers your query!

Which plasma model do you have?    I would definitely consider it.  I know the models in the store are not always set for the optimum picture so it is hard to compare them.