Add Product

Search Results:

Do NOT buy Insignia brand TV!

My 2 year old Insignia TV will no longer turn on. I bought this TV at my local Best Buy (Patchogue, NY) so I called then for a little help. This is no joke...They recommended that I just buy a new TV! They explained that the cost of repairs would not be cost effective...so it would be a better to just BUY a new TV! A 2 year old TV is now junk according to the very store I bought it from! Buyer BEWARE! I would not recommend this brand to anyone. I'm Thinking that it would have been more "cost effective" to have never bought this TV.

Best Buy...you should be a better Company than this...Especially in this economy!

Valued Contributor

Re: Do NOT buy Insignia brand TV!

What you were told is the truth.

When you buy a bottom tier product, you can expect two things:  1. It will not last as long as a more expensive product, and  2. They are usually not economical to repair.

So, you basically have two choices:  1. Buy another bottom tier product with full knowledge that you will have to replace it sooner, or 2. Buy a higher quality product and hope that it lasts longer.

If you find my post useful or informative, please click the icon below with the plus sign and star to give kudos. Thank you!
Recognized Member

Sorry to hear about your troubles and I understand your frustration. But to say this about one brand in particular and one brand only is a little uncalled for. There are many other brand name televisions that this happens to as well.

Best Buy as a whole has nothing to do with it either. They do offer protection plans on all electronic components. If one chooses not to invest in it, then that person is at the mercy of the LIMITED manufacturing warranty which is provided in the service manual or online for buyer to become familiar with.

Former BBY Home Theater Associate 2010 - 2012. Now I work as a graphic designer in the print and prepress industry.
Topics: 64
Kudos: 70
Solutions: 33

I agree with Michael.  I own 2 Insignia TV's, one has been going strong for 6 or so years and the other for almost 3 with out issue.   You could have the same problem with Samsung, Panasonic, LG etc...  And you would be in the same position.  Products today are not made to last like they were they are made to look good.

Give Kudos if you like this post or Accept as Solution if it answers your query!
Contributor

I would never buy an Insignia again just for the audio factor.  Unless my mom has her bose speakers on, it is hard to hear the audio when playing blu-rays.  She can turn the volume all the way up and it's still muffled. 

Topics: 64
Kudos: 70
Solutions: 33

True on the audio but I am ok with that.  My 22" in my work room the volume is on 40 and max is I think 55 just to hear it over the boiler.

Give Kudos if you like this post or Accept as Solution if it answers your query!

I've bought "bottom tier" items many times including many electronics and have had just as good luck with them as "top tier" products.  So the nonsense about getting what you pay for is goofy considering Foxconn builds most all the components in the same plants over in the new red china.  I don't want to put too fine a point on it but you just got a lemon.  It happens from time to time and you have to write off about 10% of what you buy over all just because "things happen".  If I were you I'd buy the best deal you can get when replacing this item.  Electronics for the most part are designed to be throw away items.  When a run of components like pc boards are run they are not available for very long for repair.  This means the board itself needs to be repaired and not replaced after a few short months which is very expensive.  The original boards are made robotically at very low cost.  I'd just shop for a replacement as I mentioned and get your best price and specifications you can find no matter where you purchase the replacement.  Use the 2 year old one for a hood ornament or some other form of artwork and just write it off.  After that warranty is over you will not get any help.  No seller will do any better.  You might want to check your local power for surges or low voltage as this can take out a tv as well before replacing your tv. 

I have a 19 inch white 3 yr old Insignia from Best Buy that also has audio issues but it serves it's purpose. Usually I do purchase extended warranties on more expensive items. I bought my Ipad2 and Macbook Pro this year from Best Buy and purchased the extended and if I drop or break them I also have coverage for that. I also purchased my 50"+ Panasonic 3D TV (stupid idea) not from Bes`t Buy, and extended warranty...why take the chance. I am now looking for a new dishwasher after my 2 year old whirlpool died and I did not think I needed the extended! Whirlpool told me exactly what I already knew..."We only cover it for 1 year". Let the buyer beware.