Add Product

Search Results:

Comcast Cable/ HDTV/ Home Theater Connection Question

I have a connection question… What is the best way to connect my Comcast HDDVR, Sony BDV-E570 home theater system and Sony KDL46EX500 LCD TV?  The Comcast contractor provided less help than my 5 year old could offer. I talked with a couple of people regarding the best way to connect the system, so this is how it is currently. Cable comes into the house and connects to the Comcast HDDVR box, HDMI cable from the DDDVR box to the TV. Optical and Coax cable from the HDDVR box to the Sony home theatre system. I am using a HDMI switch between the HDDVR box and Sony home theater system to watch DVD’s and connect to the internet. It seems to work okay however I would like to know if there is a better way to connect all three systems together. Thank you JIPI

Valued Contributor

Re: Comcast Cable/ HDTV/ Home Theater Connection Question

@jipi wrote:

I have a connection question… What is the best way to connect my Comcast HDDVR, Sony BDV-E570 home theater system and Sony KDL46EX500 LCD TV?  The Comcast contractor provided less help than my 5 year old could offer. I talked with a couple of people regarding the best way to connect the system, so this is how it is currently. Cable comes into the house and connects to the Comcast HDDVR box, HDMI cable from the DDDVR box to the TV. Optical and Coax cable from the HDDVR box to the Sony home theatre system. I am using a HDMI switch between the HDDVR box and Sony home theater system to watch DVD’s and connect to the internet. It seems to work okay however I would like to know if there is a better way to connect all three systems together. Thank you JIPI

Your setup is seriously messed up. You should have it laid out like this:

1. DVR to HDTV with HDMI/Component video cable

2. DVR to Home Theater System with Coaxial or Fiber Optic cable

3. Home Theater System to HDTV with HDMI

There is no need for an HDMI switch anywhere in your setup. The TV has multiple HDMI ports so you can switch between the DVR and the Home Theater system quite easily. Since you bought a Blu-Ray system, you will have to change the audio input selection on the system to switch between the DVR and the Blu-Ray source accordingly.