Add Product

Search Results:

Cable for 7.1-channel audio

I have a Onkyo 5100 sound system and am going to purchase a sony BDP-S550 Blu ray.  I plan to use the 7.1 audio connection so I can get Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital and DTS high-resolution surround.  I hope the new sound will be worth the extra money.  My question is what type of cable do I need to hook the audio from the Blu ray to the Onkyo receiver. 
Valued Contributor

Re: Cable for 7.1-channel audio

The only way to get 7.1 is with a HDMI cable. Onkyo's web site says that unit has HDMI pass through. So it should work with a HDMI from the blueray to the reciever and they get the video out to the TV with another HDMI.

Bob

Thanks Bob, but unfortunately the 5100 does not accept audio input using an HDMI input cable.  The Bly ray and the 5100 have eight what appears are RCA connectors, one for center, left, right, two side, two rear and a sub input.  I think this is the only way I can get DTS-HD, Dolby TrueHD, and DTS-HD Master Audio decoding.  I wish I had waited and got a receiver that did decode these formats but I got what I got and want to get the best sound I can. 
Valued Contributor

In that case all you need are audio cables. There is no video involved. I do believe if you want  to buy a all in one cable already made like that then you can I will check I believe BB sells the cable. I am wrong they do not list it on the web site. I did find it already made up in 3ft to12 ft lengths on blue jeans cable It ranges from 129.99 to to 201.99. Remember these are premade to your needed length and are a high quality cable. If that is not what you want I believe any audio cable will do. They will only come in red and white colors. That is ok as long as you pay attention when hooking them up.

Thanks I would like a single cable with eight RCA type connectors however based on the price I think I will just get four sets of good audio cables.  I did order the sony 550 yesterday, the store did not have it in stock but it should be here in about a week.  Got it for 299 which I tought was a good price.

I just hooked up the exact system you're describing using a S550 on an older receiver without HDMI inputs. Works great.

Get cables from "monoprice" (online store) high quality cables and very cheap prices. (I would've expected to pay much more than I did for 8 of these cables). Search on some home theater forums and you can get some other recommendations for the company as well.

Thanks I have the cables picked out.  Just waiting on the blu ray now.  Looking forward to getting it hooked up