Add Product

Search Results:

At wit's end with Yamaha receiver

After weeks of wrangling with all these components I finally have both audio and video feed from receiver to TV.  Looks and sounds great!  Until I change the channel.  Smiley Sad

I'm only getting audio on Dolby 5.1 channels.  Even there, most of the commercials are silent.  

My set up is HDMI out  from Comcast box---in to Yamaha RX-V463 receiver.  HDMI out of receiver to Panasonic Viera TV.   I believe I'm also supposed to have on-screen display.  But nothing happens when I press the display button.  (The manual is far from user-friendly!)  

Cany anyone here help me with this?  I really don't want to call the Geek Squad now that I've gotten this far!

Trusted Contributor

Re: At wit's end with Yamaha receiver

---"After weeks of wrangling with all these components I finally have both audio and video feed from receiver to TV.  Looks and sounds great!  Until I change the channel. "

What does this mean? What channels work? Which channels don't? Do you even get stereo sound? Need more info.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Disclosure: Former BBY employee.

I need advice on how to get all broadcast audio modes to play through the amp.  Audio plays through the surround sound speakers ONLY if the TV is on a Dolby 5.1 channel.  When I change to other broadcasts, there is no audio through the speakers. 

I've made some progress since last night.  Got through to Yamaha...they say all amp settings are correct.  On-screen display now works.  But they couldn't explain the audio feed problem.

Called Comcast.  They're stumped.

Called Panasonic (TV).  They recommended:  

---Reroute the HDMI cable to feed the TV directly from the cable box rather than the amp

---Feed cable box audio to the amp with an optical cable. 

I did both...still no audio to surround sound speakers on other-than Dolby 5.1 broadcasts. 

Is that clearer?

Trusted Contributor

Yes, Jeanne, this is MUCH more info!!!

There is no reason why you should not be hearing sound out of the speakers connected to your receiver. Something is fishy here. Since I don't have the equipment in front of me, it's almost impossibe to really tell what the problem is. All I can say about this is to be SURE that your setting is PCM, not bitstream out of the cable box.

There, however, is ONE sure way to handle this situation...

Use analog cables from the Comcast box to your receiver. I too have Comcast, but I don't use a receiver...HOWEVER...I have had other issues regarding the HDMI output and sound. You are NOT ALONE here. You use a Motorola box, no? This recommendation is a band-aid for your problem, but it will work.

You won't get TRUE 5.1 sound with this setup, but your receiver has some surround modes that are quite convincing. You may not even tell the difference. Hope this helps.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arghhh.  Tried that, same result.  I now have both optical and composite audio cables running from the Comcast box to the receiver.  (Audio cables are the red and white ones, right?!).  But the speakers only pick up audio on those same Dolby channels.

How do I check PCM vs. bitstream setting on the cable box?

At least I'm now get audio through the TV speakers from channels that aren't Dolby 5.1.  There's a noticeable change in quality, but it's better than watching "mute".

Trusted Contributor

If you're using a motorola box, try this to get to the setup menu.

With your TV still powered on, put the Motorola receiver in standby mode(off). Then press the menu button. A menu  should appear. From there go to "Additional HDMI settings".

There will be only three options (auto, L-PCM, and pass through). I would try all of them. Lemme know what happens.

By "standby mode" do you mean turn it off?  I did that and pressed MENU on the Comcast remote.  Nothing happened on the monitor.  The display on the cable box briefly flashed "16.3"...whatever that means.

You did mean the MENU button on the comcast remote...right?

Yes, it's a Motorola cable box.
Trusted Contributor

"The display on the cable box briefly flashed "16.3"...whatever that means."

Yes, this is correct. Your TV should still be on so you can see the on screen menu. You don't see anything on your TV set??

Yes, with TV on I see the TV menu...is that what you mean?  It's the menu where I select the input, i.e. HDMI 1, Video 1, etc.  Other choices are "setup" TV and so on.  (I no longer see the menu items from the cable box:  channel guide, etc.)