Add Product

Search Results:

Trusted Contributor

Re: At wit's end with Yamaha receiver

You should be able to see the on screen menu for the cable box on your TV. If you don't see it, the setup can still be done, but it will be tricky.

Go into standby and press menu(on the cable box), then you will see 16:9. 16:9 should not be flashing and it should not go away. 

With the cursor keys on the cable box(or remote, it doesn't matter), hit the down arrow three times. Your cable box will go from 16:9, to a flashing "ypp out". Click down two more times. Your display will be mostly blank.

Then select "right" with the cursor. You will see something like "hdn1". Click "down arrow" two times. You should see something called "aud1".

This is where it gets hard. Your really do need the OSD for this, as the "aud1" will not change on the display, but pressing the "right cursor" will edit this setting.

You should not have to be going through all this crap, though. I would have the cable company come out and make sure there isn't a defective box in your setup. Good luck.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Disclosure: Former BBY employee.

I just read the above post and I think I can be clearer.

With the comcast box off, I can't access any menu using the comcast remote.

I CAN access the TV menu using the TV remote.  So, are you referring to the

TV's menu?

Better?  Sigh.

Jeanne

Jim,

Sorry, I posted the above before I saw your latest instructions (7am).  Your post was on the second page of the thread and I hadn't seen it.

I will try it out tonight when I get home.  Someone's coming to help who has a lot more knowledge about these things than I do. 

Maybe he can get the OSD to work for the cable box.   But would you please clarify one thing?  How can the menu work when the box is OFF?  Is there a difference between standby and off? 

Problem solved!!!!!!!!

There's a button on the front panel that says "Straight" on top and "Effect" below it.

When he pushed the button the front panel display toggles between "Straight" or "5Channel".

I had it on Straight.  When he changed to 5-channel, all speakers work on all channels.

So I'm back to all HDMI connections between the components.  Only thing I have to work on now is the delay when changing channels through the receiver.  Some have as much as a 12 second delay.  I'll work on that one tomorrow.

Thanks for your help.  You kept me from giving up.

Trusted Contributor

Glad it worked out for you!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Disclosure: Former BBY employee.