Add Product

Search Results:

Adding blu-ray dvd to other components

I have a Westinghouse 26 HDTV with one HDMI connection. I will be switching over to Cable with IO box and want to add a  blu-ray dvd player via HDMI. Will I be able to do so or will I still need to use component cables. 

thanks for all assistance

Valued Member

Re: Adding blu-ray dvd to other components

I'm not sure what you mean by an IO box, but here's my take on this....

If you want to hook up both items to the TV and it has both HDMI and Component, then use HDMI for one device and Component for the other.

If you want to use HDMI for both, then you will have to get an external HDMI switching unit.  

Hope this helps...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I do not work for Best Buy and am not affiliated with them in any way. I like HT and want to help people improve their HT experience. "There is a LOT more than just having a TV to make a home theater"

Thanks for the suggestion. I should have been a little clearer in my description, the IO box is the cable/dvr box (cablevision)

again thanks for the help

Usually Cable boxes don't have HDMI pass through. I have AT&T Uverse and it only has HDMI output. I have only seen high-end receivers that do this. The reason this is usually the case is that HDMI suffers from content protection and most cheapo-end-user products like these set-top boxes, don't have this option because it is too expensive to implement. Like the other posting said, buy a splitter or buy a high end receiver. If your TV doesn't have multiple HDMI in, you have relatively little options for this.

I have a PS3, a Cable Box and a HDTV settop receiver that all have HDMI and I have to do the cable swap because I don't feel like paying for the extra cables.

NOTE: Westinghouse HDTV capable monitors sometimes have overheating problems when displaying 1080p content. I have a L2410NM 24" Westinghouse monitor that I bought a while ago and it is no longer under any warranty or anything unfortunately. When I watch Blu-Ray Movies on my PS3 and use HDMI to my Westinghouse, the screen intermittently goes black and sometimes displays snow. It will even audibly POP once in a while. Since I didn't pay too much for this screen, I can't complain as it never does this with regular VGA D-Sub Input from my computer. BUT, once you start throwing HD content at this screen, it begins to fail... What a bummer for Westinghouse. I will never buy their products ever again because of this. At least now I can test HD content before the warranty expires on any new screens I get. Thank goodness for my PS3!!!!