Add Product

Search Results:

Highlighted
Visitor
Accepted Solution

I need help with a 4-way bi-directional cable amplifier

I've recently bought the product mentioned in the title to fix the problem I had in receiving cable channels, and I'm very relieved to say it worked brillliantly for that task.

Reading over the box, however, it states it works with cable modems. Pleased further, I attempted to hook up my cable modem line, and, sadly, for some reason the "online" light of my modem does not come on, nor am I cnnected to the internet.

I've tried to send my internet connection through the amplifier with it plugged in, and not plugged in to the same result. No internet connection.

My Cable Modem is a Motorolla Surfboard.

Is there anything I've missed?

Topics: 13
Kudos: 40
Blog Posts: 3
Solutions: 179

Re: I need help with a 4-way bi-directional cable amplifier

Hello Rebel_Raven,

Welcome to Community@ Rocketfish™!

We'll be happy to look into this concern if you'll please reply with your product model number!

Regards,
Justin
Rocketfish™ Support

Justin|Community Connector | Best Buy® Corporate
Visitor

The model number for the amplifier?

Looking on the back above th bar code there's 2 sets of numbers:

10f1a

and below that is

RF-G1179

I hope that helps.

Visitor

Hello Rebel_Raven,

I would suggest connecting your coax directly to your modem to ensure that you are getting a proper internet connection. After doing that I would suggest finding out if there are any other splitters on your coax line. Your cable company might use one outside of your residence, and if this is the case, having more than one splitter could cause signal degradation on the line.

Visitor

I'm having the same problem with my modem.  TV works fine, but rocketfish amplified splitter does not work with the modem.  I also have a Motorola Surfboard.  Modem works great when plugged directly into the wall, but as soon as I add the splitter, no signal.

Visitor

Hello Sbudhram,

Are there any other splitters on your cable/coax line?

Visitor

There's one additional splitter for the cable when it first enters my house.  It's not practical for me to put it there, though, because it's outside in the cable box and there's no power outlet.

My modem is docsis 3.0, and I've read that these do not work with the standard cable amplifiers.  Should I be looking for one that has active return instead?  

Visitor

Hello Sbudhram,

I would suggest contacting your cable company. I recommend this because if you are unable to use both your TV and modem on a line that is split outside the house then the amplifier is not the issue. The amplifier, if placed after a splitter, will only amplify any noise already on the line. It is likely that the signal strength coming from your ISP is not at the proper level and would require the attention of the service provider.