Add Product

Search Results:

Visitor

Bluetooth FAQ

What is Bluetooth?
Bluetooth is a physical standard for radio signals and a standard communications protocol.  Bluetooth devices automatically know how to use this standard.

How does Bluetooth work?
Bluetooth employs "spread-spectrum frequency hopping" (changing frequency 1600 times per second between 79 radio bands) to create tiny personal networks called piconets.  A Bluetooth device can recognize and communicate with up to eight other devices at a time within the piconet.

What's the range of a Bluetooth device?
Bluetooth devices have a range of approximately 30 feet.

What are the advantages of Bluetooth?

Easy communications between devices with extremely low power consumption is the key advantage.  Using Bluetooth, you can transfer files (like photos and music) from one device to another - like from your cell phone to your computer, for example - or share address books and other data.  It allows for the "pairing" of devices for extra security, like a hands-free headset for your phone.

How can I tell if my device is Bluetooth capable?
The Bluetooth logo will appear in your device settings if the functionality is incorporated.  On your PC, it will appear in the Control Panel (or in the System Preferences on your Mac).  On your phone, it should appear in the settings.

How do I "pair" Bluetooth devices?
While detailed instructions for pairing are included with the products, basically pairing involves providing two Bluetooth enabled devices with a passkey so that they automatically recognize each other when powered on and within the piconet.

Just for fun:  Why is it called Bluetooth?
Bluetooth is named for Harald Bluetooth Gormson, King of Denmark in the early 20th century.  He was responsible for uniting his country and the Bluetooth communications protocol was named to honor him and his accomplishments.  The Bluetooth logo is composed of two antique runes, one for "H" and one for "B."