Add Product

Search Results:

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

which one I should choose, I-Pad or New Mac Book Air 11"

Hello guys, I am I-pod lover but I always wanted to have bigger screen on my gadget to watch video or do web surfing. 

I do have I-pod classic and heavy 14" laptops which I don't carry for my fun.

As I hear news from Jobs to launch I-Pad, I felt this is what I want; however, I haven't got it

I am pretty sure to myself to buy it as a gift for myself next year until I see new ad for Mac Book Air.

Last version of Mac Air was pricey and still 13" , a bit bigger than I want to carry around 

but this time it is such a cute 11" and light weight with a fair price. 

What should I choose?

I know I can carry around I-Pad in my one hand on the bus to play with it but I can't with Mac Air on the bus to have it open.

but with Mac-Air, I can do almost everything but not with I-Pad for documenting job and other stuff.

Price varies farther than I thought. 

Have any of you though about this?

What did you choose? 

Help me make smart decision here

Valued Contributor

Re: which one I should choose, I-Pad or New Mac Book Air 11"

First, let us dispel a rumor.  An iPad is not a replacement for a laptop.  I own an iPad, but I still use my laptop for serious work.  An iPad is best described as an over-grown iPod.  Even in that department, I own and use the superior Zune HD...frees me from the tyranny of the infection that is iTunes. 

I like my iPad,  but it will never replace a laptop.  If you want it for an iPod replacement, I'd recommend against it.  It does more than an iPod, but it does not justify the price difference.  I use it mainly to view podcasts and to stream netflix.  The larger screen is more enjoyable with those activities, as well as using iBook to read ebooks.  For audio, such as listening to music or to audio podcasts, I absolutely prefer my Zune HD.  It has much better audio quality,  supports more formats than does the iPod, and using the Zune software, I can store my music where *I* want to store it, and organize it the way that *I* want to organize it.  I hate that iTunes is so limitied in the formats it supports, and that you cannot store your files anywhere but where it tells you to. 

At this stage of the game, the iPad is more of an entertainment device than a serious tool. 

If you find my post useful or informative, please click the icon below with the plus sign and star to give kudos. Thank you!

Thank you for you thought.

So, I-pad is not computer replacement at all.

I saw some postings some people use I-Pad as client logging in the laptop or desktop at home to find files or run some programs.

Have you tried that way? If you have, could you share your experience?

Valued Contributor

Not sure where you read that.  The iPad will not run programs that are installed on a PC.  With apps that you can purchase, you cna stream movies and photos stored on your PC, but you cannot run any programs from your PC on an iPad.  iPad will not tether with yoru cell phone.  You can do basic office functions, but you have to buy software (apps) to do it, it does not come with any.  Considering everything I know about the iPad, it is not nor will it ever be a serious computer replacement.

If you find my post useful or informative, please click the icon below with the plus sign and star to give kudos. Thank you!
Recognized Member

You can use a web-enabled device to connect to a PC and run programs remote. But that ALWAYS requires an Internet connection.
Gary | It's true; I am a Best Buy Fan Boy!         @GaryFunk     PrivateMessage
Valued Contributor

There are programs that can access the PC and give you a terminal like experience on the iPad, such as LogMeIn Ignition, but they are expensive and the iPad does not perform as well as a laptop in this regard. There is considerable lag on the iPad, and the lack of a physical keyboard is problematic. True, there are Bluetooth keyboards for the iPad, but after purchasing everything necessary to access the PC (the iPad, the bluetooth keyboard, the software, etc), it would be better to just buy a laptop if you are intending on using it for remote access. Don't get me wron...I like my iPad very much, but it cannot hold a candle to a netbook or notebook.

thank you for your thought.

The best way for me is to buy both but just tight on the budget.

This question is never-ever done.