Add Product

Search Results:

Gizmos and Gadgets Coverage Question

does gizmos and gadgets protection fix scratches on an ipod touch?  i have an ipod touch 2nd generation and i have a scratch on it that really annoys me, will they fix it?  if they do, could they do it and give it back to me before i would leave? please and thank you
Regular Contributor

Re: Gizmos and Gadgets Coverage Question

No. We do not currently have any protection plans that cover cosmetic damage. Your best bet is to try polishing it out with Brasso.

Don't use Brasso!! Way to abrasive. You'll end up with swirls all over your screen. I know there is a story going around the internet that it's a good idea, but it's not.

How deep is the scratch?

----------------------
LeAnna
Returns and Exchanges
BBY - Utah

You'd be amazed at what some people will pull for a quick buck, that just ends up making everyone else's life inconvenient!
Regular Contributor

I'm pretty sure he's talking about the back of the iPod. The front is glass and extremely hard to scratch. If it was scratched, you'd need Brasso.

BTW, I've used Brasso on multiple iPods, front and back, and had no problems.

Unfortunatlly I do disagree with you. Brasso, in my opinion, is too harsh.

The crystal screens are easy to scrach, that's why it's a good idea to put protectors on them. And the back, while I don't care what it looks like, if you don't want it scratched put a protector or a case on it.

So I think there is no clear answer. You say it's a good idea, I say it's a bad idea.

Also if you use it and it alters the readablity of your serial number, you void your protection plan and apples warranty.

----------------------
LeAnna
Returns and Exchanges
BBY - Utah

You'd be amazed at what some people will pull for a quick buck, that just ends up making everyone else's life inconvenient!
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Of course preventative action is a good idea, but after the fact it's not much help. I'm not sure what iPods you're looking at, but we've tried to scratch the screen on our iPhone, and it just doesn't work. Glass is intrinsically exceedingly hard to scratch. That's why Apple chose glass for the screen. In fact, Brasso may not even work on it. You'd probably have to get a glass polishing compound that contains diamond dust. Incidentally, diamond is harsher than any abrasive in Brasso.

Also, I use Brasso to polish out scratches in my watch face. It works great.

The S/N is heavily screened onto the steel, so removing it with Brasso would take some doing.

However, you are simply saying it's too harsh. I've actually used it, and it does nothing but good. It's meant for stainless steel, and will work for glass.