Add Product

Search Results:

Recycling Plastic Gift Cards?

I have found a few older resources online, saying that Best Buy is taking empty plastic gift cards (from any store) for recycling. But there's no information about this on the Recycling Info page. 

Can you tell me if I can drop-off plastic GC for recycling specfically at my local store, which is Davenport, IA? 

Topics: 1,530
Kudos: 748
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 323

Re: Recycling Plastic Gift Cards?

It sounds like you really care about our environment Smiley Happy

However, I don't think Best Buy does this. I'm not even sure a card can be reloaded either with money on it. You could simply just put this with your recycle bin in your area for pickup. Or put it in the paper shredder and have it recycled along with the paper inside the shredder

***Please keep in mind that I am not employed by Best Buy and are just a regular forums Super User and an everyday shopper like you. If you find my posting helpful, please add kudos to it. Remember to mark answered questions as solved if something helped you to speed up the answer queue for other customers***

Re: Recycling Plastic Gift Cards?

@hockeycanuckjc wrote:

It sounds like you really care about our environment Smiley Happy

However, I don't think Best Buy does this. I'm not even sure a card can be reloaded either with money on it. You could simply just put this with your recycle bin in your area for pickup. Or put it in the paper shredder and have it recycled along with the paper inside the shredder

I appreciate the attempt to address my question, but to make sure anyone finding this in the future doesn't get tricky information about recycling...

You generally can not recycle plastic gift cards in curbside or normal drop-off recycling - and if you look up the term "aspirational recycling" you will see why you should not assume they can be dumped with your regular plastics recycling. Putting things in your bins which are not taken by your local recycler causes more harm than good.

However, I'm still hoping to get an answer from an actual employee (since calling the store directly isn't an option right now), because I didn't get this idea arbitrarily. I found several articles and even some reddit threads about stores that had bins up front for recycling plastic gift cards, but the last article I found was 2-3 years old. So, at least at some point in the not-too-distant past, some Best Buy locations did have this recycling option available. 

For a while one of the mail-in recycling companies was taking them, but they haven't been active in a few years - and I have a big baggie of cards to show for it. Though, I will do some more research on one of the paper shredding services that recycles. That is a solution I hadn't considered.