Add Product

Search Results:

Highlighted

Best Buy Exclusive Steelbooks - there needs to be a policy put in place

[ Edited ]

I think it's completely unfair the way BestBuy runs their exclusives with steelbook releases. I went to BestBuy today to pick up the Birds of Prey steelbook. I was there for the opening of the store with only one person in front of me. I asked for the item and the sales rep laughed and said they were sold out. I said they just opened, how could they be sold out and he said you can only get them now through pre-orders. This happened to me once before for one of the Avengers movies (where I was also laughed at by a sales rep (what's with them?). Now, I know we live in a digital world - I mean, I'm here typing on a forum instead of talking to someone in person - but what about the people that don't have computers to pre-order? Or what about collectors who want the chance to pick up a copy that's not dented? I think that some should be left for in-store retail and that there should be a 2-3 limit per customer. So where do all the pre-orders go? They go to people who buy 10 copies of more and then price gouge, like this ebay seller who's selling them today on the release date for $100 per copy instead of $35.

{removed per forum guidelines}

I really hope that BestBuy can fix this issue.

Highlighted
Emerging Expert

Re: Best Buy Exclusive Steelbooks - there needs to be a policy put in place

You can pre-order through your phone app as well.
I am not an employee of Best Buy and all opinions left on this forum are my own. Please leave Kudo’s if you like a post or click Accept as Solution if a post answers your query.
Highlighted

I think you're missing the point here. What if you don't have a smart phone to use the app? Or if you do pre-order it, the item has to be picked up at customer service, and it has your name on it. If it's slighlty damaged and you want a different copy, you can't get one - that's the one you have to take. I'm just suggesting setting aside a dozen copies or so per bestbuy store for customers to go to and physically pick it out themselves (and not be able to buy all dozen).

Highlighted

I wonder if there were production or distribution problems with the Birds of Prey steelbook, since it doesn't look like preordering would necessarily have done the trick either.  I don't think it's a scalper issue so much as there just not being enough copies to go around.

I preordered in March, my order went to 'Preparing' yesterday afternoon, it lingered like that for a while, and now it's marked as delayed, with a note that the order will be cancelled if they can't ship it by this time next week.  (I've seen people on Facebook whose delay emails were followed up by shipping notifications for overnight delivery, but I wasn't one of the lucky ones.)

The steelbook is back to order on bestbuy.com if you're okay with shipping, although the estimated delivery date isn't till June 18th.

I don't mind waiting (okay, maybe I mind a little Smiley Happy), but I wish there'd been better communication about this beforehand.

Highlighted

Thank you for your reply. I also wonder if it was a distribution issue. I know times are pretty crazy right now, but I do hope for / look forward to the days everyone can walk through the stores and shop again.

Highlighted
Emerging Expert

The problem is the steel books them selves. Only so many are made. Generally speaking if a steel book is not sold in the first few days to a week of its release it will end up mostly gathering dust. If you read through the forums about steel books you will see many more issues from people who went to a store where a steel book was on the shelf behind the CSA and they were 5th in line and there were only 4 of them. It is much better for any company to sell all inventory of an item like these before they release than it is to have copies on the shelf for several months
I am not an employee of Best Buy and all opinions left on this forum are my own. Please leave Kudo’s if you like a post or click Accept as Solution if a post answers your query.
Highlighted

I agree in concept, but all indications are that this is a more unusual circumstance than Birds of Prey simply selling out. They weren’t supplied enough copies to fulfill all preorders. And, again, they’re taking additional orders now for delivery next month, which isn’t in-step with the scenario you’re describing.
Highlighted
Emerging Expert

Best Buy cannot control how many copies of a product the manufacturer will be able to provide. The makers make promises and sometimes fall short. In the situation of Sony PS3 they fell short by the thousands. Which is one of the situations that prompt tighter control on promising pre-orders. So I would suggest going ahead and ordering for deliver next month. Which your knowing that is not in step with the scenario your describing of not being able to order online or via a phone.
Highlighted

"Which your knowing that is not in step with the scenario your describing of not being able to order online or via a phone."

You have me confused with someone else.

Highlighted

bestbuy.com is listing May 18th for delivery now (a full month earlier than what they listed yesterday!).