Add Product

Search Results:

Visitor

Re: playing media files from USB device on NS-BRDVD3

Yes, zambien, I've read the posts, but I've also read people having success with my type of HD.

Also, is there a thread or someone posting where they've had success with playback of mkv or 

h264 files?  It is playing them, but the subtitles are lost.

Lyndon

Visitor

File types are purposely limited so as to facilitate the need to subscribe to such services as Netflix ect ect.

Just another form of DRM. Smiley Tongue

Visitor

@Lyndy46 wrote:

Well,

I put in the file, and it works for a thumb drive, but not my Western Digital Passport HD!

Someone said it has to be FAT32, and a short connection.  Well both of those are correct.

Pretty frustrated when my Philips standard player recognized all of this stuff and was easy to access

the menu off the hard drive as well.

Lyndon

I have the same issue since the USB port does not provide enough power to the Hard drive. It might work using a powered USB hub but I do not have one to try it with.

Visitor

Due to the lack of (and content of) responses from support on these issues, I've returned my player and bought a PS3.  They just came out with Netflix support which was the only thing missing which in turn facilitated my decision to buy this player.  I realize it is more expensive than this player but it has proven many times over to be future proof.... for example with the update for DTS HD MA.  And it plays games (mw2 anyone?).  I am very happy with my purchase.  Paired with PS3MediaServer it is doing everything I need with none of the headaches.

I'd recommend you all do the same.  Smiley Happy

Adam 

Visitor

I'm glad you're happy with your PS3, Adam, but it seems like you were expecting much more from this player than it ever promised. Support already replied regarding many of the features you want, but I can't see how you can fault the player for breaking promises that were never made.
Visitor

We are all entitled to our own opinions, Jermath.  

The fact that I've been kicked out of netflix multiple times(needed to reenable), can't play WMVs (they quit randomly, won't fast forward, can't skip back to where I was when they quit), and the firmware was nerfed are what had to do with my decision.  All of these things don't seem to be in the category of asking for more than advertised.  The player is buggy.  Many others on here have had issues as well outside of the ones I just mentioned.  Some have been fixed, many have not.

When I pay for something I expect it to work properly.  As I stated in my last post, the experience with the player and availability of Netflix in the PS3 are what made the decision.  You are of course entitled to your opinion and your buggy player.

Visitor

Sorry, Adam—I didn't mean to suggest you weren't entitled to your opinion. There are indeed other problems with the player that need to be addressed, and which are very legitimate reasons to return the player. I was responding specifically to the issues you discussed in this thread, which all revolved around functionality that the player didn't promise. As I said, it sounds like the PS3 is a much better fit for what you went to get out of the player, and I have no reason to think you made a bad decision for yourself. All I said was that you might have been expecting more than the player promised.

I haven't experienced many bugs with my player. Out-of-sync AVI playback is the only serious one I've encountered, and since AVIs aren't noted as supported formats, I'm not overly critical. I'd like it to be fixed, but it wasn't what I bought the player for.

The issues people have described in other threads are indeed unacceptable, and I'm glad that I haven't experienced them myself. 

Visitor

I'm with zambien, jermath!

This player was advertised for Netflix downstreaming.

I will not be able to try it until after next weekend, and if it craps out like many other people complaining about this feature and over at avs forum, it is going back, and they can stick me with their famous 15% restocking fee.

Most of zambien's comments had nothing to do with what is on the "table".  And that should not matter.  If the customer base is unhappy, they should have every right to comment on it. Period!

I was hoping I didn't have to build my HTPC for h264 playback, but I guess I was wrong.  As I am not a gamer, I won't be going the PS3 route, but I am sure to be looking for something else if this can't handle Netflix streaming 

smoothly.

Lyndon

Visitor

Quote by jermath

"I haven't experienced many bugs with my player. Out-of-sync AVI playback is the only serious one I've encountered, and since AVIs aren't noted as supported formats, I'm not overly critical. I'd like it to be fixed, but it wasn't what I bought the player for."

Out of sync AVI playback has more to do with improper video encoding than with hardware defects.

Visitor

"Most of zambien's comments had nothing to do with what is on the 'table'."

I'm not sure what you mean by "what is on the 'table,'" but I was specifically responding to the discussion in this thread. There are many other threads discussing serious playback issues, and I never suggested that these issues should be ignored. However, I don't know what Zambien discussed in those threads because I didn't read them—I wasn't having the issues described, so they weren't of interest to me. 

No problems with Netflix were discussed in this thread, so I didn't realize those were part of Zambien's motivation to dump the player. Perhaps I was projecting many of the other posts in this thread onto Zambien's as well, assuming those were the reason behind the switch, rather than Netflix bugs. Anyway, my main point wasn't that people shouldn't discuss how they'd like the player to operate and what they'd like it to do, but that we perhaps should differentiate between the functionality we're ENTITLED to and functionality that isn't in the manual and hence is a bonus.

Should firmware remove functionality that existed in previous software updates? Absolutely not—that's extremely bad form.

Should Zambien's request to restore speedy fastforwarding in wmvs be addressed? No doubt.

Should any hiccups in advertised features such as BD and DVD playback and Netflix streaming be tolerated? No.

If you're trying to use USB HDDs that the player doesn't claim to support, by all means let the company know that you'd like for it to work. My only point is that I'd be pleasantly surprised if it did work, rather than angry that it didn't.

"Out of sync AVI playback has more to do with improper video encoding than with hardware defects."

Perhaps, but the files play fine on my computer, so it's annoying that they don't when put through the player. And the problem seems to be consistent, but maybe all the files are incorrectly formatted the same way.