Add Product

Search Results:

Visitor

Portable HD radios

Why are there fewer manufactueres of portable HD radios?

Even with the existing ones, they hardly manufacture any portable HD radios with any features. The HD02 was promising with a touch screen but got discontinued. What was the reason?

Why is HD01A not available now? Is it discontinued as well? If so, what other pocket HD radio options do we have?

Why are the manufacturers dishing out HD radios only for the automobiles? People don't live in cars and don't drive all the time. People want to listen to HD radio at home and more importantly - at work - too.

Is there a portalbe HD radio product in development? In this age of touch screens, living with hardware button devices feels dated. I grew up listening to radio and will never abandon it in favor of Pandora, etc.

If HD01A and HD02 are available for purchase, which one do you recommend?

Please advise...

TIA

Visitor

Re: Portable HD radios

Also products still with 5 presets, 6 presets, 10 presets, 20 presets are usable. Unless they have at least 100 presets, touch screen devices do not make sense with 20 presets.

Visitor

Oops! I meant to say, products with 20 presets or less are NOT usable.

Visitor

People say that HD radio adoption is poor and that it is dying. If only there were more portable models with great features available, this wouldn't have been the situation for HD radio - which is totally subscription free. Why is it so difficult to understand?

We want portable models with features that rival smart phones because smart phone manufacturers in America do not understand the importance of including a Radio inside them that does not cost data plan. If they did, radio would have died the death of camera industry long ago. Take this opportunity and save yourselves before it happens. Let's not make the radio die.

Visitor

Hello powerobject,

Welcome to Community@ Insignia™!

Both the HD01 and HD02 have been discontinued, meaning they are no longer being produced. I checked BestBuy.com and it does not look like either unit is available anymore meaning they have all sold out. You may be able to find one of them available second hand through ebay or similar. 

We do currently have a tabletop HD radio for sale, model NS-HDRAD. You can search the model number on our front page to get to the product page if you wish. 

Regards,
Ryan
Insignia™ Support

Visitor

Hi Ryan,

I don't under the whole thing at all.

You say both pocket models are discontinued and there are no more pocket models other than a table top. If we don't have pocket models, now what? People don't go around carrying a table-top radio with them because it doesn't fit in thier pockets. They need "pocket" radios. Regular radio is a HIT for over 5 decades for a reason - they always had countless number of pocket radios which made the format popular.

Is HDRadio.com really interested in promoting HD Radio? All they have are automobile models but people do not live in cars or drive all the time. The 30-minute average commute a person has is a TINY NICHE you folks are targeting by focussing on automobile radio models. They spend most of their wakeful time at work and want to listen to music while they work. Pocket radios offer the best of both worlds of being mobile and desk-top.

Also, you said both HD01 and HD02 are discontinued. But I also inquired about "HD01A" which is still listed on HDRadio.com but could not find any store/dealer selling them. I could not even find used ones (Do you guys see the DEMAND??). How do you folks expect your COOL, GREAT HD format (that has NO subscription fees!!) to become "popular" if there are no personal devices to play them?? Paid services such as Sirius/XM are popular because they do sell devices. HD Radio has a poor adoption rate and a FLOP for years even though it is FREE because of this very reason that they do not have enough devices and NO pocket devices. Which part of that is hard to understand?

Does HDRadio.com have a roadmap for their future business sustainability? If they discontinued the current models for NO obviouis reasons (from what I heard, the discontinued new NS-HD01A was a great product), do they have any plans for launching any newer pocket HD radios? If not, I don't know what else to say because I would be totally lost why a business cannot understand its own "business model".

Visitor

Can you please forward the above to your management? Maybe they will get a user's perspective and see the demand for pocket radios.

Visitor

Hello powerobject,

Thank you for responding!

I will forward your perspective to our various teams. 

The HD01A is a slight design difference from the HD01. Both are discontinued, meaning they are no longer produced, and more than likely no longer for sale. The only HD radio we currently produce, we do not have any other HD radios including automotive HD radios. 

HDradio.com is not our website so I cannot speak to what products or information is on that site. 

Regards,
Ryan
Insignia™ Support