Add Product

Search Results:

Insignia Voice Speaker NS-CSPGASP-B ancient firmware

I bought this speaker a couple days ago, primarily to use as an alarm clock that works with Play Music. When I try to set any kind of alarm, it says, "Something went wrong, try again in a few minutes." 

I noticed in the Google Home app, the installed system firmware version is 101 & the cast firmware version is 1.25.91836

I have left it connected for the past couple days & received no updates. I've also done at least 10 factory resets to try & force an update. If it can't even function as a basic alarm clock, it's of no use to me.

Re: Insignia Voice Speaker NS-CSPGASP-B ancient firmware

Welcome to the fragmentation club! I have several of these and two of them are on 314, one is on 310, and one is on 105. I had one on 101 and I just gave up and returned it and when I setup the new one it upgraded right away. I'm not sure if the update mechanisim of these things is flawed or something else is to blame. Support told me that they upgrade automatically at night and they check every day for updates but that just isn't the case, obviously. 

Yeah, that's kind of the impression I'm getting. I think I'm just going to return it. Kind of crazy that even discounted to $25, it's still not worth getting

Everything except continuous conversation works on the "current" firmware version so you may just want to exchange it if you would like to have it "work." 

I have 2 -- One at 310 (updated from 306 3 days ago) and one at 105 which I haven't been able to update despite holding down the mute button till "factory reset" for 12 seconds and using a paperclip to hold the internal reset button down.   (Multiple times)

Cannot configure these to firmware levels into a stereo pair, which is why I purchased them.

I'd really like to replace the one which won't update, but having difficulty finding one.   If I can't find one locally,  I'll just return both.

It would be nice if there was some reasonable level of documentation and support on this product.
A small list of suggestions (minimal level of product support).

1. Support site with a list of software updates specifying feature updates or bug fixes.

2. A way to send an update to the speaker, or at least prompt it to request an update from the site.   

3  Documentation of all LED modes.  (what does a blinking white light mean) and the reset method 

@jpenoyer wrote:

I have 2 -- One at 310 (updated from 306 3 days ago) and one at 105 which I haven't been able to update despite holding down the mute button till "factory reset" for 12 seconds and using a paperclip to hold the internal reset button down.   (Multiple times)

Cannot configure these to firmware levels into a stereo pair, which is why I purchased them.

I'd really like to replace the one which won't update, but having difficulty finding one.   If I can't find one locally,  I'll just return both.

It would be nice if there was some reasonable level of documentation and support on this product.
A small list of suggestions (minimal level of product support).

1. Support site with a list of software updates specifying feature updates or bug fixes.

2. A way to send an update to the speaker, or at least prompt it to request an update from the site.   

3  Documentation of all LED modes.  (what does a blinking white light mean) and the reset method 

The prblem with any Google Home product is that firmware updates are pushed automatically with no force update mechanisim, at least from what I can gather from talking with Insignia and Google. Google doesn't even post change logs for their own products, just versions here. Third party devices will never run on the latest versions see this article for more. That's why we see features like continued conversation missing from our speakers. It's missing from other brands as well until the OEM and Google can work out a release. It's still frustrating though. I can't for the life of me understand why we can't have a continuous weather display where there is a dedicated feature for it and it shows on the box that it does it. It fails to mention that it only shows it on demand. Also displaying "SEt" when the speakers are part of a pair. The device is a clock, why wouldn't it show a clock still? Hopefully stuff like that will be fixed in future updates by Insignia, but they will take a long time.

Rlw

I just bought one, and get the alarm set error over and over.  Tried all the stuff of course.  Called and talked to support who of course asked me to do all that stuff.  Same problem.  Asked me to return it to store.  I did.  Brought it home created out settings in the Google Home app.  Set it up.  Basic stuff works.  Alarm, of course same problem as first one.  I really needed this as an alarm clock!  Where is the internal reset?  How do I check firmware level?

To check the firmware version, open the Google Home app & go to the settings page for the speaker. The firmware revision will be at the bottom of that page. I haven't been able to find any update documentation, but scouring various forums let me to the conclusion that the version should be somewhere in the mid three hundreds. Mine was 101. I mainly bought it as an alarm clock as well. The biggest problem with the speaker is there's no way to force it to update. What a disappointing product.
I returned it the other day. The Google Home Mini is on sale for $30, so I got that instead. It doesn't sound as good, but it's plenty loud. It updated immediately upon setup & works great.

I had the same problem last week. I bought two more Insignia Voice speakers to add to the four already in my house. Both speakers had the same problem you describe, and would not update the firmware. I reset each several times, and was ready to return them to the store.

A few days ago, I unlinked the new speakers from my Google Home group, and let them sit overnight. I then linked them back into my home group, and--to my relief--they work just fine now. Oddly, the firmware does not seem to have updated. 

It's not much of an insight, but worth a shot, if you're considering returning the speakers. 

Thanks for the reply.  I called the helpline and they said to return the speakers.   They could not help troubleshoot it or send a replacement, so they advised to return it.

The speaker generally functions but doesn't create a stereo pair.  I'm not comfortable with one speaker being nearly 200 revisions behind the other one when and bugs are still being worked out (and some features added).

I went to the closest store and they don't have a replacement so I'll see if I can find one a little further out.   

My guess is that there will be a big pile of these going to a refurb service soon and they will pop up online in 6 months or so.