Tech Up the Holidays: Building Out Your Light Display (Part 2)

by Geek Squad Agent on ‎10-22-2012 07:50 PM - last edited on ‎07-14-2016 11:59 AM by Geek Squad Agent (13,413 Views)

Sequencer Software

At a basic level, a holiday light show is just a sequence of instructions sent to a light controller that synchronizes your light display to your music. There are a number of good free/paid software suites available that include a sequence creation tool. For this year’s show, I am using the sequencer included in the LightShow Pro software suite.

sequencersoftwarecrop.jpg

Sequencer software makes the task of creating a show easier. It does this by showing a visual display of the music that helps you create slices of time within the show that you essentially “paint” with various lighting effects using the different light setups in your display.

Making your lights turn on, off, shimmer or flash at just the right moments in your show can take a few hours of work, even for a 5 minute sequence. For those who don’t have the time to craft elaborate shows on their own, there are collections of pre-made sequences available through groups that share their creations. (Professional sites that provide light show equipment also make sequences available.)

Scheduler Software

Once you have your collection of sequences and music, you’ll want to setup a playlist to entertain your holiday guests. Scheduler software allows you to arrange your work on a calendar and repeat shows as often as you wish.

schedulersoftwarecrop.jpg

Many scheduler tools will allow you to setup more advanced options, such as having the current sequence selection automatically posted to a Twitter account. (Some even upload webcam footage of the current show to social media or the Web!)

Remote Desktop Software

If your software is properly setup, you shouldn’t need to access the PC while the show is running. As a Geek Squad Agent, I like to be able to troubleshoot issues with the show without having to drag a monitor, keyboard and mouse to the outdoor box housing my controller and PC.

I use the Remote Desktop Connection tools built into Microsoft Windows to connect to the network via my home PC. I have also installed a software tool that works with the Splashtop app that is available for both iOS and Android. I like having full access to view and control the PC using my tablet from anywhere that has access to the Internet. (This explains why my neighbors sometimes see me standing in front of my house at night working my tablet and watching my show.)

Announcements
Welcome to our Best Buy Community Forums. The Insignia and Rocketfish communities have been merged into this forum, please click on the links directly below in our Community Browser area to access our Insignia and Rocketfish boards! Rocketfish and Insignia can be found under our Best Buy Brands boards.
Geek Squad Videos

Visit our Channel on   

Labels