Moms, Dads and Grads: Tech Gifts for Fitness

by Geek Squad Agent on ‎05-05-2012 02:10 PM - last edited on ‎07-14-2016 10:59 AM by Geek Squad Agent (2,968 Views)

Ah, Spring is here (and Summer is close behind) 

Who doesn’t love the sound of surf crashing on shore, the warm sun and a light breeze?  With your new camera (discussed in our previous post), you can capture every moment!  But what if winter has ravaged your physique, and you find yourself dodging the camera’s lens? 

TECHNOLOGY IS HERE TO HELP.

Personal trainers can be expensive. Fortunately, personal trainers have recently gotten an upgrade.  Meet, Personal Trainers v2.0:

FITBIT SAVES THE DAY

Fitbit is a radical new device that syncs to your smartphone or computer to deliver real-time data on your daily workouts!  Using the app developed by the makers of the device, it will monitor your exercise intensity level, calories burned, steps taken, and even your sleep quality when you’re done for the day!  All of this data will then be uploaded to your personal Fitbit website so you can track your progress, and reach the goals you’ve set for yourself.

NIKE+ GIVES YOUR SHOES ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE

If you are an avid runner, you know that it is sometimes hard to keep track of where you have been and how far you have gone.  Personally, I have found myself lost in the middle of the woods after a run, armed only with my smartphone, and not knowing how I got there or where I was.  Using Nike+ and its maps application got me home safe.

Nike+ is a dongle, smaller than a 9-volt battery.  To use the device, place it in your shoe, and connect it to the app (limited to iOS devices).  It will track your steps (acting as a pedometer), and sync to your device’s GPS to create a map of where you have been.  It’s like being thrown into a real-life video game.

The Nike+ Watch is an upgrade to the still-powerful Nike+ dongle.  The watch has a built-in GPS by TomTom and can track your time, distance, pace, heart rate and the number of calories you’ve burned.  Couple it with the dongle and an iOS device for even more powerful tracking.

This blog is now going to inspire you by getting on its virtual soapbox… ready?

You should probably go for a walk.  (Heck, we all could use it – especially those of us in the tech industry.) You look great and everything, but running clears your head, and releases endorphins, which gives you a very natural high feeling (minus all the drawbacks of an artificial one).  All of this technology is great, but you need to put the work in if you want results.  There is nothing that can replace good old-fashioned work.  You can burn calories doing anything, like:

• Go dig some dirt in your backyard and plant flowers — and then use your new point and shoot to take a picture of it.
  • Go for a run in the woods and not get lost because you have been empowered by an iPhone and Nike+.
  • Cook a healthy meal which you just got the recipe for from your new tablet and cooked correctly because you made it while looking at the tablets screen to get the method and ingredients, all while listening to your favorite album and taking pictures of your masterpiece to then upload to your favorite social network.  You also just won everything for excellence in multitasking.

SUMMARY

In the future, when robots become conscious and start to do everything for us, just think back to this article.  As a human, technology can only help us so much.  The robots will not be able to run for us.  They cannot lift the weights for us.  At the end of the day, we rule over technology (hopefully, and if not, we salute our future robot overlords), and harness it to make our own lives better.

Tune in May 6 for the final posting in our tech gifts segment, when we tackle ultrabooks and portable audio!

Announcements
Welcome to our Best Buy Community Forums. The Insignia and Rocketfish communities have been merged into this forum, please click on the links directly below in our Community Browser area to access our Insignia and Rocketfish boards! Rocketfish and Insignia can be found under our Best Buy Brands boards.
Geek Squad Videos

Visit our Channel on   

Labels