Add Product

Search Results:

Re: GCU is being discontinued?

I feel they could have handled this way better. If the program wasn't working for them, fine, I understand, but give loyal members a heads up and let us renew one last time. Just pulling the rug out just seems like you're purposely burning bridges and doing this in a way that is going destroy any of the loyalty the program built up in the first place. 

Someone posted on BestBuy Reddit that it is indeed cancelled and people should be receiving emails about it soon. Still no reason as to why but maybe the email will shed alittle light on what happened, but i doubt they will go into detail. Corporate is telling people you can still get your $10 dollar gift cert for preordering their Select Hot Games but thats about it. They will honor memberships until they expire.

Thats just incredibly dissapointing..If they were losing money with this program, just think about how much they will lose now that people dont buy games there anymore.

@worsebetter
Could be worse, they could fully terminate all benefits today. But this is a really bad move driving away all gamer customers in one swoop.

Yeah, once my membership is up I won’t even go to Best Buy to buy other things

Re: No more gamers club. Going to gamestop

How has a moderator not come in to comment on this yet? It's been up for 2 hours on a Friday afternoon already! Your silence speaks volumes.

Just showed up to voice my opinion.  I'm lucky, and decided to renew my GCU membership until 2020.

However, once it expires I will be cancelling my Best Buy Credit Card and my business will return to Gamestop, or any other retailer that will continue offering discounts to game purchases.

Before the GCU, I can count on one hand the number of times I pre-ordered titles from BB...and the number of times I stepped into your stores during a year.

Sales will suffer.

Thats pretty much where i am at, unfortunately i didnt renew before the shutdown. The only two things i can think of as to why they would do this is A. Losing Money or B. They have a new program they are releasing, but if they had a new program, i would think they would inform people ahead of time so they dont go into a frenzy about losing such a great deal like they are now. Losing some money or making no money from their game department, seems like a hard choice..

Trusted Member

Re: No more gamers club. Going to gamestop

I think the writing was on the wall for a while now. After they revamped the program and tried charging $100 for two years and got rid of the good trade values, trade in promotions and the coupons and magazine that were there from launch they lost most of my business. 

I'm not a 'gotta have it' gamer, so buying a game at launch with a $12 discount and possibly $10 in their funny money wasn't really all that appealing to me. With the number of games that come out with serious issues at launch nowadays I don't even understand how anybody could continue to buy these things at launch only to have to play something else till they fix the newly launched titles.

Guess it's back to stalking the clearance cycle at the ol' bullseye chain for the bulk of my gaming buys now, especially since BB doesn't do any huge site/store wide clearances with decent enough stock levels to grab stuff locally anymore.

Like the above poster, I came here to give my feelings on this. I won't be buying anything from Best Buy anymore, just like before GCU. Not even non-video game stuff. This sucks. I've spent upwards of $2500 with Best Buy in the last two years with GCU mostly on video games but I've given you business for computers, TVs, and other stuff too because I appreciated the company so much for doing GCU. BB can die a slow death now for all I'm concerned. I won't be shopping your stores or buying anything online with you anymore. I'd rather pay full prices with other companies than to support a company that would introduce a program like this and then kill it off. Why not just raise the price or shorten it to one year membership? I don't see the point in ending it completely. You're going to lose a ton of business, including mine. Oh well. Your loss.  

I really enjoy this program and have recommended it to others multitple times.  I almost exclusively buy my games from Best Buy due to the fact that with GCU you get the best deals.  Gaming is an expensive hobby.  Therefore, I follow the deals.  Without the Gamer's Club Unlocked benefit, Best Buy will rarely offer the best price for most titles.  I will continue to use this program as long as they will allow us.  Sad to see it go.