Add Product

Search Results:

Accepted Solution

Can GCU be "abused"?

Can your GCU be pulled if abuse is suspected?

Emerging Expert

Re: Can GCU be "abused"?

Yes

Please leave Kudo’s if you like a post or click Accept as Solution if a post answers your query. I am not an employee of Best Buy and all opinions left on this forum are my own.

So...what? Buying games at 20% for all your message board buddies is “abuse”? Why? Since when was driving sales to Best Buy wrong?

If you read the TOS, you would know the pitfalls that would result in membership termimation.
Emerging Expert

You asked a simple yes or no question. 

Buying and resellling is abuse and against the terms of GCU.

I believe this is one of the big reasons why BB is terminating GCU.  You think nothing of 20%.  But when your a very large company and you sell a game at $59 your probalby paying around $30 for the game in question.  Add on to that the cost of getting it to the store, or the cost of shipping it directly to the customer, the cost of the employees in the store or warehouse that handle the game. etc..  Then tack on a 2 to 3.5% cost for processing credit cards.

The profit margin for that one game goes down quickly.   At some point the company has to realize they are bleeding money.  

From what I have read on just these message boards there are quite a few people who participate in this activity.  And I would be willing to bet some people have made numerous GCU accounts which allows them to purchase numerous copies of a single title and it probalby is not a hard thing to resell them for $5 off. Making a $7 profit per game. 

Then add on that they are also making reward dollars on each title.  I make 5% by purchasing on my Best Buy Credit Card.   Just GCU and my card reduces the price by 25%.  Credit Cards bring it down to 28% add on GNA and other overhead and it adds up.

Long story short, video game sales while large in volume can be very low in profit, and in some cases a loss of money.

Please leave Kudo’s if you like a post or click Accept as Solution if a post answers your query. I am not an employee of Best Buy and all opinions left on this forum are my own.

Psh...well, for the record I didn’t want to make any money off it because my payment would come in the form of Reward Points. Everyone wins...