Add Product

Search Results:

sound problems with my XPS 1330.. help

Im trying to connect my laptop to my plasma using the HDMI port and no sound comes out even after I activated the sound by right clicking on the sound icon and selecting HDMI....  please help

Topics: 1,116
Kudos: 753
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 271

Re: sound problems with my XPS 1330.. help

Ive found that usually a driver update in these situations cures the problem. Its like that with HDMI on Video Cards as well.
***Please keep in mind that I am not employed by Best Buy and are just a regular forums Super User and an everyday shopper like you. If you find my posting helpful, please add kudos to it. Remember to mark answered questions as solved if something helped you to speed up the answer queue for other customers***

thanks for the reply. how do I update the drivers?..

Search the internet for a program called "Belarc Advisor" and download and install that program. That program is very good at telling you what hardware components are inside of your machine.

On Windows Vista, you can also get to the device manager by clicking the start pearl and in the Start Search box type in "Device Manager" and press enter.

The HDMI audio is usually located under sound devices in the device manager"

***Please keep in mind that I am not employed by Best Buy and are just a regular forums Super User and an everyday shopper like you. If you find my posting helpful, please add kudos to it. Remember to mark answered questions as solved if something helped you to speed up the answer queue for other customers***
Topics: 37
Kudos: 61
Solutions: 17

Welcome, Jaime!

I love laptops with HDMI!  According to Dell’s website for Connecting Your Computer to a TV Using the HDMI Connector you need to switch the audio to HDMI in Microsoft Vista by going to the Control Panel and choosing Sound. Under the Playback tab be sure to set the HDMI and set it to be default. You will need to switch back after you are done with the HDMI. You should also update the drivers, but always download drivers from the original manufacturer so you are sure of what you are downloading. If all else fails you may use a “Y” cable to output from the headphone jack to your TV or stereo.   

Matthew|Community Advocate | Best Buy® CorporateVisit our Channel on

Thank you Matthew for that clarification, Sometimes I type out things, some thought in my mind leave me, and then I am left with an incomplete response Smiley Happy