Add Product

Search Results:

Accepted Solution

replacing printer

I prepare tax returns and up to now have always purchased a laser printer.  Is that still necessary with all the current technology.  Not sure of the difference in printers.

Trusted Contributor

Re: replacing printer

It's much cheaper to use laser as the price of toner over ink is vastly superior.
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Being for business.... you willl quickly find better value using a laser.  BTW.... do you have laptop that needs to moved around the office?  Consider a "wireless" printer so that you can print anywhere around the office (such as a meeting room).

Valued Member

@Jimmienomam wrote:
It's much cheaper to use laser as the price of toner over ink is vastly superior.

This is not always true anymore - the Officejet Pro 8000 series models are roughly the same price per page.  However, laser print is much better for black and white text and graphics, such as tax returns, for other reasons.

You want one with networking in it regardless of it being wireless or wired, so multiple computers can share it easily.  Plus, it's usually included every time, anyway.  I'd probably look at this one:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+LaserJet+Pro+400+M401n+Network-Ready+Black-and-White+Printer/525820...

--------------------
I'm a former Geek Squad employee, and I've spent my entire life and career taming technology. Kudos appreciated. Smiley Happy

thanks, I need to focus on tax not technology
Trusted Contributor

I thought it was only the same price per page when factoring in that the color is 50% less (ish) then laser printers. I thought that still the high end yield monochrome laser printers still are cheaper than even the 8000 series.

Granted the costs are becoming much closer, but is the 8000 series comparing high yield lasers or are they finding lasers that aren't economical to boost their appeal. Honestly if you know conclusive testing then I am more than happy to look at it. I'll probably search it later anyway as curiosity has gotten the best of me now.
Valued Member

They're comparing to desktop laser printers, not the high yield models, which is of course what they should be: they're desktop printers, after all.

What you want to do is look at the cartridge yields, not the printer specs, anyway, so we get ISO/IEC 19752 standard yields; much easier to compare. The HP 940XL Black ink cartridge lasts 2200 pages and costs $39, so $0.0177 per page. The 80X toner used by the LaserJet Pro 400 (linked above, and roughly the same price) is $179 for $0.0259 per page - so for black alone, the Officejet 8000 series are actually cheaper.

Of course, mixing in color ink with its lower yield cartridges brings that up some, as does the 25,000 page yield on the print heads, but they are within hundredths of a penny for overall cost.

However, laser print is much cleaner and easier to read, as well as being waterproof, making it much better for tax returns and similar.
--------------------
I'm a former Geek Squad employee, and I've spent my entire life and career taming technology. Kudos appreciated. Smiley Happy
Trusted Contributor

Impressive. I still use my brother monochrome that hits about .016-.017 per page or lower of there is a sale, but it's cool to see that inlets are getting better.

I have the Lexmark with the high yield conservation system. But it still equaled about .02-.022 per black page.

How's the print quality on the 8000 series? I know the Lexmark is lackluster when using the high yield cartridges. Is the 8000 better?
Valued Member

Print qualtiy is excellent for normal color graphics work, good for text and OK for photo work (laser does better for text, and more colors for photo).

I have the older OJ Pro 8500, and it's big advantages for me over my CLJ 2600N is the duplex module is more convenient, it's somewhat faster, and it takes any stock I throw at it.  Lasers are very picky about taking just plain paper, which I don't have to worry about with it.  Generally, I only print tickets and receipts on the laser anymore, almost anything else goes on the inkjet.

If you had to own one printer, hands down the Officejet Pro 8000 series is the way to go, because of the low cost per page and the fact that it does nothing badly.

On the flipside, if I were doing taxes and other black and white work all day, I'd still get the laser, even at a higher cost per page. Smiley Happy

--------------------
Valued Member

One other thing I forgot: the Officejet 8000 series uses seperate print heads, so quality is the same across all cartridge capacities. Smiley Happy

--------------------