Add Product

Search Results:

"blue screen of death"

What to do?  10/10/08 we purchased a Dell setup with Vista at our Best Buy in Savannah,Ga.  They were great and told us just what we needed and we had the Geek Squad set us up.  Very good customer service and we were happy and excited to add another computer to our home office.

In the following weeks the computer kept locking up in windows and going to what the Geeks have refered to as the blue screen of death and safe mode.  We called Dell and were referred to the Geek squad and they attempted to help me over the phone. We tried lots of things at their direction including a boot loop.  Still would only operate in safe mode.

Since  Best Buy is a hour away and we are all working we didn't get the computer in to the store until 12/29/2008 and left it there until 1/6/2009 when we were notified us that it was ready.  It worked briefly.

1/19/2009 returned to Best Buy and waited aprox 3 hrs. while geek squad worked on it. Worked briefly

1/20/2009 returned to Best Buy waited again over 4 hrs. Followed instructions again. Worked very briefly

1/21/2009 we are just going to not use the Dell for a while.

2/13/2008 Frustrated! Just too upset to take another trip to Best Buy.  Whenever we get on that computer it goes to the Blue screen after a short time. 

What can we do? We have already sent it in once. Dell won't help.  "Matt"  the local managment of Best Buy says we must go through the Geek Squad  and they can't resolve the problem.  We just want a computer that works. 

Topics: 73
Kudos: 34
Blog Posts: 10
Solutions: 114

Re: "blue screen of death"

Hello, SmallBusiness.

Welcome to the forums!

Since you have expressed concern with returning to the store, the recommendation I have is to do an operating system restore.  Your Dell might have come with restore disks when you purchased it.  If not, please fill out this form on Dell's website to request your disks.  The disks are free of charge if you have not already ordered them.

The restore disks will allow you to completely restore your computer with a fresh windows installation.  Hopefully this would correct the problem you have been having.  Please remember to back up any data you need to keep prior to doing this, as it will erase everything.

Please feel free to let us know if you need anything else.

Jacob|Web Planner | Best Buy® Corporate

Jacob,

Thanks for your Quick response.  I have done an operating system restore and the Geek squad has done it twice.  Thankfully they only charged us $130. the first time.   Redos were courtesy.  Still it just goes to the BSOD at random times.  Sometimes we can shut it down and leave it off for a while and it will work for a while but it still goes off sooner or later.  Hard to trust important work and deadlines to it.  Could it be the Dell/Vista combination?  Do we just need a new computer?          

Topics: 1,085
Kudos: 742
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 258

you might want to check on the dell website for a bios update. You never know what you might solve from one of those. I used to be an owner of a Dell Insprion 1501 and when I got it , the machine constanly gave me the blue screen. Doing a simple driver update and a BIOS update solved the issue..

Sorry to hear you are having so many problems and I hope you get this resolved. I will continue to monitor this thread a nd offer some new advice as I come across it

***Please keep in mind that I am not employed by Best Buy and are just a regular forums Super User and an everyday shopper like you. If you find my posting helpful, please add kudos to it. Remember to mark answered questions as solved if something helped you to speed up the answer queue for other customers***

Thanks for trying to help. Using another computer I got on the Dell website and after some research went to the Vista site.  I was able to get back on the new Dell and it worked long enough for vista to tell me that a Intel ICH9 chipset has stopped working properly and to go to the Intel Corporation website to download a driver that needed to be installed in compatibility mode.  I went to Intel and they no longer provide the driver and suggested that I return to the place I got the computer.  That was okay because soon after that the fan on the tower got loud and the monitor blacked out.  I turned the machine off for a while and when I turned it back on I got a black screen with the message status OXC0000411 and said that the computer can't come out of hibernation.

You probably have figured out that I am fed up with this machine.  Our local Best Buy rarely answers the phone and if they do you get transferred to someone who never answers.

The Geeks seem to be good but they can't get it fixed.  We have so many hours into trying to resolve this problem that we could have "worked " those hours and bought a whole system.  This computer has never worked more than an hour at a time.  Seems unfair that we spend all that $ and buy all that was suggested and have the geek squad install it all and we don't add anything else and still we have nothing to show for it but alot of wasted hours at Best Buy waiting while the Geek squad works on it.  Someone please help.  All this time has put us behind schedule.  We have no more time do devote the Dell and we need a computer that works.

Valued Contributor

Please forgive me if I missed it, but what model is your dell?
**If you like my answer then click the little Star under my username.
**If my response answered your question then click the Solved button. Thanks

Inspiron 530
Valued Contributor

The 530 had horrible BIOS bugs. Have you flashed the BIOS with the latest Dell BIOS update?
**If you like my answer then click the little Star under my username.
**If my response answered your question then click the Solved button. Thanks

Valued Member

If I understand this correctly, you bought a brand new Dell 530 on 10/2008 and it has been locking up and crashing with the blue screen of death (BSOD), correct?

Your Dell has a one year warranty, with remote and onsite support from Dell.  Contact Dell directly by phone or via the internet (if you have access to another computer).  They'll correct you're problem remotely or dispatch a repairman.  Make sure you have your receipt.  Also, have any documentation as to what BestBuy techs did to the machine. 

The last thing I would do is update the BIOS, unless Dell tells you specifically to update it.  Improperly flashing a system BIOS can damage a PC system, and the manufacturer might not stand behind the warranty.  Plus, updating the BIOS on an unstable machine is very risky - should you lock up during the update, the BIOS flash could corrupt.

good luck!

Topics: 1,085
Kudos: 742
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 258

If your Dell computer was purchased in store from Best Buy you must contact Geek Squad Support by telephone since Dell products sold by Best Buy are solely warranted by the Geek Squad.This is per agreement between Best Buy and Dell Inc.

***Please keep in mind that I am not employed by Best Buy and are just a regular forums Super User and an everyday shopper like you. If you find my posting helpful, please add kudos to it. Remember to mark answered questions as solved if something helped you to speed up the answer queue for other customers***