Add Product

Search Results:

Recognized Member

networking gigabit internet Question

Hi,

I got a EN2251 docis 3.1 modem with Eero pro 5 wifi my question i get around 300mbps for wireless it should be getting 900 on wireless Or be better to get a new docis 3.1 modem that can get full speeds?

I hope someone can help me

Valued Expert

Re: networking gigabit internet Question

how much speed do you get when you go direct ethernet?

Your provider may be selling you up to 900 mbps but that does not mean you are getting it.

There are lots of variables that determine your actual download speed. 

I have an eero mesh router system in my house.

My provider advertises I am getting 300 mbps

My cell phone on wi-fi gets 160, my lap top get 160.

On ethernet I am getting 234 

So if you have the capability, plug your computer in direct to your modem with ethernet and test that as a base.

I am not an employee of Best Buy and all opinions left on this forum are my own. Please leave Kudo’s if you like a post or click Accept as Solution if a post answers your query.
Recognized Member

So if I get 300mbps is the right speed and sometime it go over.

Valued Expert

To me at least 300 mbps is pretty dang good. On my best days I get 240 mbps and it runs everything without a hitch.

I stream movies, play computer games etc. and never have a noticable issue. 

If you can plug your computer directly into the modem that will tell you your best internet.

Lots of things have and effect starting with what is in the street that your cable is tapped off of.

There fiber running down my street. 

However, the cable from there to my house was laid in 1988 and the cable was split about 12 times in the house becuase the previous owner had an outlet in every room.

I could only get 20 mbps.  Long story a little shorter, Charter Cable (now Spectrum) ran CAT 6 to my house, removed all the splits so it is a straight feed from the street to my modem.  If I ever get cable back I will have to put the splitter back.

Instanly my speed shot up.  

Things you can check is remove as many splits as you can in the house.  Have the most direct feed going to your modem.  i.e. no splits or only one before the modem.

Use high quality 7.0 DB splitters for in and out.  

Upgrade as much of the cable as you can

I am not an employee of Best Buy and all opinions left on this forum are my own. Please leave Kudo’s if you like a post or click Accept as Solution if a post answers your query.
Topics: 1,752
Kudos: 891
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 344

I am supposed to be getting up to 800 myself on Comcast but getting only about 300 tops on any given day. Still though an 80 gb game off XBOX Live downloads within a reasonable time compared to the UVerse DSL my husband and I had previously where I was lucky if the game had a 3/4 download over night

Best Buy Forums Super User since 2008. Please note I am not employed by Best Buy and I answer questions on my own time. If you find something helpful please add kudos to it. Should something solve your issue please remember to mark inquiries as solved.
Recognized Member

I get 500 to 600mbps upstairs but down stairs I get less.
Topics: 1,752
Kudos: 891
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 344

Wireless B / G / N has further coverage but lower speeds. Wireless AC can deliver an Ethernet like experience but you have to have hardware to support it and its distance is limited.

I personally like the hardwire the best but it can be a pain in the you know what to run cords in the house ETC.

Best Buy Forums Super User since 2008. Please note I am not employed by Best Buy and I answer questions on my own time. If you find something helpful please add kudos to it. Should something solve your issue please remember to mark inquiries as solved.