Add Product

Search Results:

my computer won't install my printer

I have been tring to install  a printer that came with this computer from Best Buy however I keep getting errors.  How can I get past this and get my printer added.  I have vista home for an operating system.  I have gone to the canon web site and downloaded the drivers but I still can not get the computer to add the printer.  I also turned the anti virus off and also call canon tech support but they claim it is the computer.  I tried to call emachines but I was on hold with them for over 90 min when I finally had to hang up.  Someone help me please.   Thank you for any and all your help.
Recognized Member

Re: my computer won't install my printer

Pls. elaborate more on what your trying to do. Does the printer comes with a cd/driver? what is the brand/model of the printer? Are you trying to use USB, Parallel, Wifi, Ethernet connection for this printer? What kind of windows error are you  getting?

To install a usb printer, usually you have to install the software/driver first, then rebbot, and then connect the printer to your pc and power it on, windows should recognize the added printer and loads its driver automatically.

Well I first tried to install the printer that came with the computer a canon pixma,  I followed all the directions to the letter, it is usb.  Then when that did not work I called the tech support for the computer and they said that I needed to download the drivers from the internet because I have vista.  But that still did not work.  Then I thought it was maybe the printer so I got a new one an hp photosmart all in one and the same thing happened.  Everything starts off great and then in the end there is an error.  My computer came with a disk and so did the printer.  When I could not get the printer to install I went in and uninstalled the printer and reinstalled it I restarted the computer and when the computer tried to download the drivers or what it does there is an error that says windows encountered a problem the download was canceled.

Question:  While you are doing the installation from the software do you, at some point, get a Windows pop-up telling you that it wants to install hardware?
Recognized Member

"The usual method to install a USB printer is to load the drivers prior to connecting the printer."

You usually load the software and drivers first - during the latter part of the software installation, you are often prompted to plug in the USB cable to the printer, or you may need to reboot before you are prompted to do that.

The power on the printer often must be switched on in order for the software installation for the printer and Windows to find it.

It is usually NOT a good idea to plug in the USB cable to the printer before installing it's software and drivers.

If you plug in the USB cable to the printer first, Windows will probably find there is a printer connected while booting, and when it can't find drivers for it, it will prompt you to point to the location of the drivers.
Usually it is a BAD idea to do that - the printer will probably not work properly.

If you DID NOT follow the installation directions correctly. Try these

- unplug the USB cable to the printer

- go to Control Panel......

-go to Printers and Faxes - delete any HP/ Canon printer listed there.
Go to Control Panel - Add/Remove Programs - Un-install any entries for software installed by the printer software installation.

Reboot the computer.
Follow the proper installation directions.