Add Product

Search Results:

computer problems

having several problems...

1. whenever I run "check for updates", it never finishes. I've let it run for more than 24 hours. 

2. I can't seem to run certain programs because they require Visual C++ 2013 or 2015 (I'm not entirely sure which one), but I've downloaded both, and the programs still won't run.

Please help

Topics: 1,115
Kudos: 753
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 271

Re: computer problems

Hmmmm.... There are many reasons why your computer may have the updates not complete. What OS are you running?

Also a corrupted OS can cause certain things to register improperly even when you reinstall them. You may or not have Malware / Spyware / viruses on your computer but it can't be ruled out.

I would run a program called AdwCleaner and MalwareBytes for starters to check for any infections to your system.

CCleaner is also a good idea because it contains a registry check features. As with all products and advice suggested here, please consult the advice of a computer professional first before performing any self maintinence

***Please keep in mind that I am not employed by Best Buy and are just a regular forums Super User and an everyday shopper like you. If you find my posting helpful, please add kudos to it. Remember to mark answered questions as solved if something helped you to speed up the answer queue for other customers***
Kudos: 122
Solutions: 97

Re: computer problems

Do you have Windows 7? If so, you'll want to install the KB3172605 update before your updates will work.You can find the update here : https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3172605 however, installing it is not always so straightforward. It downloading and running the update doesn't work or doesn't fix the issue, it needs to be installed manually...which is more complicated.

I fix this issue multiple times per day, so if you can't get it working and have a Geek Squad Tech Support plan or are willing to pay for a one-time repair service, we can fix it for you remotely at https://www-ssl.bestbuy.com/usw/covertops .
-
I am not a Best Buy / Geek Squad employee. All comments and opinions are my own.