Add Product

Search Results:

can i put a new video card in Asus U52?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+Laptop+/+Intel%26%23174%3B+Core%26%23153%3B+i5+Processor+/+15.6%2...

i know it has  integrated graphics (quite bad) but could i install an Nvidia video card to increase the gaming performance? would it be a lot of trouble to get it in?

Topics: 292
Kudos: 171
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 81

Re: can i put a new video card in Asus U52?

Unfortunately, there is no method to upgrade a laptop's intergrated video chipset internally. Externally, there are very few options, and none would offer an increase beyond what you already have. Sorry about that!

s.gifI am a Bestbuy employee who volunteers on these boards on my own time. I am not paid for posting here, and you should understand that my opinions are exactly that - opinions. I do not represent Bestbuy in any way.
: Open Mailbox

Laptops are built with the CPU and GPU (graphics processing unit) soldered onto the motherboard. As RedWyv says, those are unfortunately not upgradeable in any simple capacity.

If you are interested in purchasing a higher end machine, in January, the new Sandy Bridge line of processors is coming out from Intel. Those feature on-die high-end graphics which will feature DirectX 11 and speeds which rival the current enthusiast medium-level GPU market.

Expect to get a good bang for your buck. You can find that on newer processors like the i5-2500, which are coming out soon.
-------------------
The views expressed in this post are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of Best Buy's. But you can expect them to make you chuckle.
PCHO Sales Representative - Tualatin, Oregon.
Valued Contributor

@Riot wrote:
Laptops are built with the CPU and GPU (graphics processing unit) soldered onto the motherboard. As RedWyv says, those are unfortunately not upgradeable in any simple capacity.

If you are interested in purchasing a higher end machine, in January, the new Sandy Bridge line of processors is coming out from Intel. Those feature on-die high-end graphics which will feature DirectX 11 and speeds which rival the current enthusiast medium-level GPU market.

Expect to get a good bang for your buck. You can find that on newer processors like the i5-2500, which are coming out soon.

You are confusing Sandy Bridge with AMD's upcoming Fusion products. Sandy Bridge is DX10 and is intended for media machines with casual gaming. Ivy Bridge, the follow-up, will be DX11 compliant and is intended for the full range of GPU uses.

Derp. Yeah, that is correct. Sandy Bridge is going to have DX10, and Ivy Bridge is going to be DX11. Also, I didn't mean to confuse it with anything, I have just been so fixated on getting Ivy Bridge 22nm in my machine (enthusiast minus GPU) that I forgot which was DX10.
-------------------
The views expressed in this post are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of Best Buy's. But you can expect them to make you chuckle.
PCHO Sales Representative - Tualatin, Oregon.