Add Product

Search Results:

Highlighted

Word file 2013

Hello,

When I try to open docx file (created in Word 2013) Word shows the following information:

“Word was unable to read this document. It may be corrupt“

Who has encountered a similar problem? How to treat it?

Highlighted
Emerging Expert

Re: Word file 2013

Do other word .docx documents open in your Word?

If they do and there is nothing wrong with them you could try.

First, copy and paste your .docx to make a copy.

The right click on it and go down to Open With and select Wordpad

Try the other options to Open With.

If you can try converting it to a pdf.

If none of these things work your word document is simply corrupted and you may have lost it.  Also, look in the directory where the document is stored in case your program was crashing and automatically made a back up of the document.

Please leave Kudo’s if you like a post or click Accept as Solution if a post answers your query. I am not an employee of Best Buy and all opinions left on this forum are my own.
Highlighted
Topics: 164
Kudos: 178
Blog Posts: 0
Ideas: 54
Solutions: 33

Another option go to your temporary folder (AppData) look around see if you see an older version of that document

It may be pushing your luck but it has saved me more than once on important spreadsheets.

I may not always know the right answer, but I will always tell you what I do know. I also do free computer analysis and consultation via private message.
Highlighted

[ Edited ]

Use Word's text converter it is one of the methods from Microsoft Corp., but another solutions collected from Internet space, one of them has a special status and is actual only for complicated cases with MS Word documents

(removed per forum guidelines)

Recovery From Temporary Files

Another method is to locate the temporary file of the original file, usually the file hidden and stored on the same folder as the original.  Go to “Tools” | “Folder Options” | “View” and enable ‘View all files’. Enable View hidden files and locate the hidden Microsoft Office file.

This temporary file will have a few different letters after the tilde (or squiggly line “ ~”) .

• A word document file will look like ~wrdxxxx.tmp
  • A temp document file will look like ~wrfxxxx.tmp
  • An auto recovery file will look like ~wraxxxx.tmp

Copy the file to a designated folder and rename the file extension from .tmp to .doc.

And you are done, and also saved hours of work. 

If you find any problem with this method, please let us know in the comments, we will do our best to help you out.

Highlighted

Use Word's text converter it is one of the methods from Microsoft Corp., but another solutions collected from Internet space, one of them has a special status and is actual only for complicated cases with MS Word documents https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/474fddc0-ff4c-4a07-8e8b-7dba63b17ba9/how-to-recove...