Add Product

Search Results:

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Wiping data before recycling Laptop at Best Buy.

So Best Buy's website recommends using DBAN to wipe the hard drive before recycling a computer.  However, other websites say using the built in Windows 10 recovery tool to erase everything and fresh install Windows is good enough, and I already have done so.  Should I still use DBAN, or am I good to go?  Also, what would it cost to have Best Buy do this if more is required?

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Re: Wiping data before recycling Laptop at Best Buy.

As long as you selected the full wipe on the recovery tool (it takes hours.... ) you should be fine. If you selected "just erase my files", you might want to do it again
Highlighted

Yup, did full wipe. Took all day lol. Thx dude.
Highlighted
Emerging Expert

Back in the days of Amiga and such ilk the standard method used to be putting a strong magnet on top of the hard drive. 

I am not an employee of Best Buy and all opinions left on this forum are my own. Please leave Kudo’s if you like a post or click Accept as Solution if a post answers your query.
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Nah didnt really bother back then, hard drives didnt last near as long, and you didnt have to worry about clearing your browser history pre internet Smiley Happy
Highlighted

But it is still necessary to do so,i think.